Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was driving down the highway and when i shifted to second i heard a weird click come from the motor,so thinking it was my SS trans i didnt bother to pull over and check it. But once i got to work i got a out and heard a weird noise from the head,almost sounded like a rod knock but isnt that severe.So anyway,what do u guys think could be some of the problems,i am aiming at maybe i wiped a lobe on the cam,i havent tried Vtec yet cause i dont wanna do any more damage if there is any,i dont have any CEL's from this either.And i am wondering if it could be timing,i got 58k on it and it's a 99.I am gonna get the mechanics at work look at it tomorrow but wanted to get some other opinions.And yes the car has oil and it's full..:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
was it just one click or does it constantly click? does it do it at an idle? does it click faster with more rpms, or does it stay at a constant rate?

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JakeTheSlayer said:
was it just one click or does it constantly click? does it do it at an idle? does it click faster with more rpms, or does it stay at a constant rate?
Well i am at work now and the mechanics seems to think that it is the timing going out. Well wheni was driving it was just one click,but once i parked i heard it more, at idle,when u rev it up u cant really hear it at all. But it sounds like it could be something other than timing,but they know a little more than me and looked at it for an hour and determined using a stethescope(sp) and listening around the motor that it was timing,i think it is but i wanna be certain,not replace timing and it's a bad valve, or something on the cam..

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well for anyone that cares. I looked my car over for hours yesterday at work,and the noise is definitely coming from the trans. I just had my trans fluid changes the week before at honda also. So i am glad it's not timing but pissed that it's my trans.Going to honda on monday to find out what's definitely wrong with it.

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
how fast where you going on the highway? Shifting into second on the highway is never good, especially with a SS.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
Enhanced said:
how fast where you going on the highway? Shifting into second on the highway is never good, especially with a SS.
it won't hurt the ss tranny. the tranny computer only allows you to down shift into certain gears at certain speeds, so you can't accidently go in the wrong gear. 2nd gear is good till around 75 mph on an ss, so it won't bad (as long as you aren't cruising on the freeway in 2nd).

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
I know what you are saying, it just doesn't seem to good to go from 4th gear to 2nd on the highway going 60. I wouldn't do that even in a 5spd.

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasnt doing 60, and i was upshifting to 2nd doing about 30 mph. It;s weird cause the noise in the tranny can be heard throughout the motor, that's why they thought it was timing,but i investogated hardcore and found it was the trans. It is going to Honda tomorrow so i will post detail on what it wrong with it,it sounds like a bearing,or maybe the torque converter is loose and hitting something,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts