Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 lude, my motor has a lot of problems, it wasn't taken care of by the previous owners on top of having a **** ton of miles on it. I have put a lot of work into it trying to get it to run correctly, but I've come to the point to where it'll be easier and cheaper to buy a new motor. I was planning on getting another h22 but was wondering what other "better" motors would I be able to swap into?

·
Registered
2 Posts
k20? but i would keep the H2 but i don’t know too much abt this **** i just bought a 5gen lude abt 6 months ago,

Figured id try and participate in prelude community actions lol

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
How much money are you looking to spend? How long do you plan to keep the car? What are your goals and use case?
My wife and I went K24 because we are building this as a FWD FF track car and we wanted a more recent engine that would be easier to get parts for and easier to support.
But that is not going to be everyone's use case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did a JDM H22A swap a while ago. It was great! Better fuel milage on top of better performance. BUT, it was involved and not cheap. JDM engines are good because there is basically no where to go in Japan (when you compare it to the USA), so they don't have the kind of mileage we get. However, you may be aged out on them- there may be none left.
If your body is good, and you want to keep the car, this is a way worth considering.

·
Registered
19 Posts
H engines are notorious for oil consumption- I was always having to add oil- both on the original US market and the JDM replacement. A real problem if you space it and run too low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We didn't have great luck with jdm engines so rebuilt the one we had in our 1992. Rebuilt. Blueprinted and balanced. Runs beautufully with header and new 2" exhaust. Now the paasenger side has been crushed in and we're grieving. and debating next step. Is the Prelude repairable and is it worth it or sell and try to recoup some if the investment? Maybe it's time to go electric. 6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts