Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of searching and reading about different engine options for my '97 prelude base model. A lot of it has led to confusion on my part. The current status of my car which has 155kmi on it is that it is burning a LOT of oil. This meaning about 1qt per every 300 miles of driving! I was originally thinking about buying either another H22a4 engine or a JDM H22a and getting it sleeved with some flanged Darton sleeves. Not for performance so much as to eliminate the oil burning. I know from the factory these cars can burn a quart every 3kmi, if I was within that spec...I would be fine. Bottom line is that I want to make some pretty mild gains. I am looking to make 250-260+bhp after adding some more aggressive cams, maybe some type S pistons, and have it be a nice "reliable honda". The transmission is crap too, so I am leaning towards just buying an engine/tranny setup.

My question that I am looking to get some feedback on is given what my goals are, what would be the best engine to use to attain these? Should I stick with the H22 or should I look more at the H23, F series, etc? I do not have an unlimited budget so spending $4k+ on a type S engine for the whole extra 20hp isn't really an option when I can get a JDM H22a for $1900 with tranny. I'd rather spend the money on I/H/E, cams, pistons, etc.

Thanks for any help in advance! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
170 Posts
just reuild the motor you got, throw in some forged pistons, lots of headwork, and bolt ons. thats what i did. But mine is coming out to be turbo'd in oct.

·
epicifying since 09!
1,588 Posts
H22a4
or
H22a

if you just replace the engine...make sure you get the Base model as the H22a4 came in the base and SH models, but both are stamped H22a4 on the block

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I should have added that the reason I am not rebuilding my engine is because I want to have minimal downtime. I also heard it is either very hard or not possible to re-hone the FRM cylinders? Should I sleeve whatever engine I do end up using...H22a or H22a4?

madcatz: Is there a way to differentiate between the SH and non-SH engines without prior knowledge of what car they came out of? Assuming it is not an engine/tranny combo =P

·
epicifying since 09!
1,588 Posts
as for the SH and base, its the location of the oil filter that gives it away. But the SH has the M2U4 transmission while the base is another M style trans....I dont know the Base model code

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am NOT looking to put an SH engine and ATTS tranny in. No matter what...the transmission will be swapped with a JDM LSD. It was only the engine option I was wondering about as to what between the H22a, H22a4, and H23 would be my best starting point for having an engine that would NOT burn that much oil and would reliably produce around 250+ bhp N/A with some cams, pistons, I/H/E, etc. I have already been down the DSM route for quite a few years...now I am trying to have something with decent pep but will not fail on me. Thanks again for all the input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update:

I am in the process of doing a G23 build up, but I am still looking for others who have already done this with their 5th gen...feel free to share if you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts