Honda Prelude Online banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Depending on the hoist you have, and if you have an engine leveler, there are usually more places you can connect it to safely hoist the engine.

Secondly, use a Helms to find what all you need to disconnect or remove in addition to what you have disconnected so far.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Depending on the hoist you have, and if you have an engine leveler, there are usually more places you can connect it to safely hoist the engine.

Secondly, use a Helms to find what all you need to disconnect or remove in addition to what you have disconnected so far.
Obviously, there are many pieces sticking off of the engine, but the question is which ones are safe. :p

I also have a helms and use it religiously. They cost nothing online, so there is no excuse for not having one, IMO. :bigthumb:

--------

I managed to get the engine out, yesterday, with the transmission already removed. For future reference:

I detached the rear motormount from the cross member (leaving the rubber mount attached to the arm on the engine.) I then ran a chain between the mount and the arm, and bolted the end of the chain back onto itself, creating a loop, and ran the other end to the load leveler. This arm is only held on to the engine with one large bolt, but it didn't seem to rotate at all, or mess anything up.

On the front of the engine, I ran a chain through my load leveler and attached BOTH ends to the engine using the bolt holes for the power steering mount bracket. (NOTE: I used shorter bolts so that I could affix the chain against the block, to reduce the torque applied to them. The stock ones are long and have an unthreaded shank, so they will have a higher chance of ripping out or sheering off.

The engine is out of the car, and aside from a nice gouge on my valvecover, from the chains attached to the front, everything worked fine. I needed to repaint the valvecover, anyway :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can get the engine out with the transmission still intact only if you have an auto transmission. If you have a manual, there is not enough room for the engine to slide over so the input shaft of the transmission can be removed from the clutch.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
You can get the engine out with the transmission still intact only if you have an auto transmission. If you have a manual, there is not enough room for the engine to slide over so the input shaft of the transmission can be removed from the clutch.
I think this is a case of misinformation. Assuming the manual is right, though I have not lifted the engine out yet but will do so this summer, it clearly states that you can remove the transmission and engine as one.

·
There's only one....
2,973 Posts
yea... its not happening for either type of tranny. I would be amazed if you did it on a prelude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removing your transylvania and motor;use C4.
My question,had the Tran replaced and now if I start the car the starter makes a loose sound,do you have to touch the starter if you change your tranny...please answer,thanks.98 honda prelude.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts