Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have over 100k on my lude now (108 or so i think)....just wondering i am planning on keeping the car

if i rebuild the engine with new internals (higher performance) will this help to increase the life of the engine and will it be as good/better than replacing the engine with a lower mileage one (or a new car)?

what all should i replace that would not only increase performance but the life of the engine

pistons, rods, crank, shafts, etc?

·
Registered
118 Posts
replacing all that stuff would pretty much give you a new engine. Just be careful about what pistons you get most forged piston are not compatible with stock H22 sleeves.

·
Type SH'in...
2,229 Posts
Not exactly what you were asking, but, I'd reccommend rebuilting your engine versus swapping in a lower mileaged one. Miles on the odometer mean nothing if the car wasn't well kept, and a used engine w/o complete history is a crapshoot at best.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Crank and rods are reusable if the engine has not been starved for oil and show no signs of unusual wear. Your only choices for pistons are OE or Mahle, any thing else requires sleeves (1k and up). Other items to replace are Oil/water pumps, all belts, consider a manual timing belt tensioner swap. Larger oil pan won't hurt. Oil cooler. It's going to get expensive, especially if you're not doing the labor. Used engine for 1K + is going to be cheaper but is a gamble as Kap TypeSH said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts