Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys. i have a little problem hoping to get some advice from you guys. well i have approximately 18,500 miles on my 98 Lude and the motor is knocking and ticking like theres no tomorrow. it knocks as if it has 100k. i'm guessing that i need a valve adjustment but i have some friends that say my mileage is too low. or it could be from me vtec'n it like a mother *. another suggestion is that i might need to check my spark plugs but i just changed them and i know its nice and tightened but not toooo much. any ideas and cures?? your help is very appreciated.

------------------
KQ
98 Pearl White SH
92 Baby Blue S (sold)

·
Registered
55 Posts
according to the repair manual, it says to adjust the valves "as needed". This can be as soon as 15K miles depending on how you drive.

·
11,003 Posts
kenny: the way you drive, i do think you need a valve adjustment right about now. i heard the ticking the last time at E-town, and yes, it's pretty bad.

lose some weight will ya?!?! your right foot is way too heavy....

------------------
------------------

OG H-A Member
1997 San Marino Red SH
~scratch here, ding there. Sigh...~
AIM: imagepree

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, than i will go do the valve adjustment tomorrow. what are you doing tomorrow See? want to meet up with me at Auto Factory? we can chill and go sip on some gin and juice.

------------------
KQ
98 Pearl White SH
92 Baby Blue S (sold)

·
Registered
828 Posts
WHat is engine knock...and when do you hear ticking and what kind of ticking and how loud is it. While at idle or driving? I just dont know anything about it.

------------------
----99 Prelude----
NTPOG

·
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AndoOKC:
WHat is engine knock...and when do you hear ticking and what kind of ticking and how loud is it. While at idle or driving? I just dont know anything about it.

</font>
technically, it's not *engine knocking*, cuz that would be real bad. it's more like *ticking*, metal tapping against metal.

kenny: i dunno if i can make it. i'll pass by to see if you're there though. let me know what time you're going.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
here is more insight:

Dr.CARumba Problem Statement

The engine knocks or pings - The engine produces a pinging or knocking sound that worsens under load.

Dr.CARumba's Analysis

There are three common causes of this fault: improper engine timing, low exhaust-gas-recirculation system (EGR) flow, or incorrect fuel octane rating.

Dr.CARumba's Suggested Repair

A professional technician will need to inspect the ignition system, fuel delivery system and perform an engine performance diagnosis. He will also inspect the EGR system if applicable.

To view a printable version of this page, please click here.

·
Crunk + Hyphy = Sam
4,989 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KQ:
what are you doing tomorrow See? want to meet up with me at Auto Factory? we can chill and go sip on some gin and juice.

</font>
True "G" status huh Kenny?
Rollin down the street smokin...........

SAM

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehe, no doubt Sam. well i left my car at the shop over night so the car can be completely cold when they work on it tomorrow morning. they say i do need a valve adjustment.

------------------
KQ
98 Pearl White SH
92 Baby Blue S (sold)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts