Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is probably the best modification I've ever done for the least amount of money required, ever. Second to the Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket, but I definately favor the inserts since they seem to "do more".

And what do they do?

First off, wheel hop is almost completely eliminated. This allows the tires to spin and put down more power evenly as opposed to hop violently in fustration.

Second, engine movement is obviously decreased under all situations, allowing much improved handling, and overall a more solid feeling driving experience. I felt like I could kick out the rear easier, and it was generally easier to drive. Less engine movement is the name of the game. It's amazingly amazing.

Third, vibration, the only "con" to this, which I throughly enjoy. As others have stated, idle and/or a/c usage will create a unfamiliar amount of vibration, so much that my front bumper was making a loud rattling noise. I cured the noise with some strategically placed rolled up duct tape to dampen out the vibration. The dash seems to rattle in a few more spots now too, which isn't anything new for me, but only at certain rpms. Idle ~ 1000 with a/c on, and somewhere around 5000. Barely tap the throttle while at idle and the excessive vibration is nearly forgotten.

There seems to be a lot of vibration through the seat, steering wheel, pedals and shifter than before. There was a considerable amount before due to my one piece seat being bolted more directly to the car than a oem seat and my shifter bolted without bushings to the tunnel. But either way, you will feel more vibration through every type control.

Also, if I shift a little off from perfect, I get some extra shakes up front. I was starting to get used to this already from the 8lb flywheel and 3 puck exedy clutch, but this exaggerates the situation, making you have to really be percise with shifting inputs. Not a real big deal though.

I highly, highly recommended to anyone who likes driving cars with 4 wheels, and even those who don't. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Everyone, go buy them now! Approx $30 + shipping.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Well i had a JRSC for about 2 years without inserts and now with inserts its the best feeling, no more sluggish feeling. Plus i though my clutch was loosing its holding power (ACT) but now it feels better then ever. The stiff feeling is so worth it. All in all i AGREE!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Give it a few months, you will start to HATE the motor mounts. lol.
but I still didn't take it off because I gained so much performance out of it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My motor mounts are in. It makes a very noticeable difference in handling. I have the vibration at idle, but its worth it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
TIP: Without the rear motor mount insert in, you retain aprox. 90% of the stiffness with about 50% less vibration. I believe I saw a dyno test a few years ago that showed only a 1-2 tq loss @ the wheel without the rear insert in.

Basically the rear insert is the cause of almost all of the extra vibrations, while the front insert does almost all the work.

hope this help.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I never worked on the SS, but I could find out pretty easy.

·
IM LOVIN IT!!!
2,339 Posts
i got them in my car since 03 feb. the more i drive the more i know it works.. only thing i hate is the virbration from sittin in traffic.. EVERYTHING rattles... but i got use to it...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
^ Might have to ask that of the auto-x forum

·
Zoom-Zoomin
1,461 Posts
I just put mine in. I love the drving feel. No more slop when shifting. But the vibrations at idle are already getting on my nerves. I'm contemplating removing some material from the rear insert to allow it to move a little and reduce the idle dash/steering wheel shake.

Technically they are pretty staight forward to install but turned out to be a real PITA. I had to trim some material from the "flange" of the rear ones in order to get a socket on the two rear mount bolts. Then I had some trouble lining up the mount and bracket holes to get the sideways bolt through. I had the same issue with lining the sideways bolt up on the front one, which was compounded by the fact that there is so much room down there. :rolleyes: Almost three hours of jiggling, cutting my fingers, and frustration later I took that bracket back out and had to bend the parts where the hole and nut are to get them to line up right. Sheeesh.

PS... I don't have the ES ones, but bought them off Keith.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
From most the the reply's, it seems everyone is happy with the performance aspect of the engine mount inserts but hate the extra vibration.

By only adding the front mount inserts, I'm guessing you would gain some performance but not as much of the vibration.

Do you guys recommend just putting in the fronts?

What about make... Is ES the way to go?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Most have said front pretty much doesn't make a huge difference.
Its the rear that really makes you go "oh, I now have stiffer motor mounts".

Just go with both. Eventually you'll get used to it.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
hwani.h22a. said:
Most have said front pretty much doesn't make a huge difference.
Its the rear that really makes you go "oh, I now have stiffer motor mounts"
We'll, this is a contradiction then.

Xander said:
TIP: Without the rear motor mount insert in, you retain aprox. 90% of the stiffness with about 50% less vibration. I believe I saw a dyno test a few years ago that showed only a 1-2 tq loss @ the wheel without the rear insert in.

Basically the rear insert is the cause of almost all of the extra vibrations, while the front insert does almost all the work.
I think I'll just get the fronts and see...

So, what about manufacturers of the inserts? Is Energy Suspension the best out there?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts