Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, ive searched EVERY possible nook and cranny and some people say "yay, they make big differences" and other people say "no, they do jack-all because OBD2 compensates for everything eventually".

What do you guys think? Has anyone installed cam gears on their cars without cam shafts and noticed or seen dyno results that prove gains?

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
They do make a noticeable difference in hp and tq if you have upgraded your cams. Stock cams would work too, but the gains would not be a whole lot.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
OBDII prevents spark timing adjustment, not cam timing - any changes you make with cam gears will stay.

I don't think OBD2 is as bad as everyone thinks, except for those who want to go full N/A and need absolute control of their ignition timing, fuel, etc (basically: programmability.)

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
don't buy skunk 2 gears.

they suck imo. use to have them, but could already see the bolt stripping in the future.

the str cam gears are much more durable.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
OBDII prevents spark timing adjustment, not cam timing - any changes you make with cam gears will stay.

I don't think OBD2 is as bad as everyone thinks, except for those who want to go full N/A and need absolute control of their ignition timing, fuel, etc (basically: programmability.)

</font>
This is not true, and I've seen dyno plots to prove it. Changes with cam gears will effect emissions and in turn the ECU will modify the spark and a/f to help trim it back to where it should be. Will you lose all the gains? No. Will you lose most of them? Maybe.

I think OBD2 *is* as bad as everyone thinks. Will it elimnate all mods? No, but it certainly makes those ponies more expensive. Best bet is to go ahead with your mods and reset the ECU occasionally- you should get *pretty close* to what an OBD1 car gets in terms of power per mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.