Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked past posts but didn't see what I needed …

My '01 Prelude is running great and I want to keep it for maybe 5+ years more. The paint, however, has started to oxidize and is progressing. Also, exposure to the sun has dulled most of the surfaces. So, I was looking into a decent quality repaint to bring the car back to its original glory - or close to it.

So, is that possible without spending a ton of $$$? I checked one body/paint shop and they wanted about $800/panel with about 8 panels for the car. They say that's the only way to offer a warranty and stand by the work. They also mentioned a vinyl wrap, but that doesn't seem to be a good option if my paint has already begun to oxidize (as the vinyl may peel more off upon removal!). MAACO offers a $400 paint job but ………… I don't want a questionable paint job covering what's still a might fine electron blue prelude!

What have you all done who needed a high quality paint job? Were you satisfied? Did it recapture the original high-gloss paint quality or did it turn out as ……… well, aftermarket?

Much thanks in advance. Barry

·
Registered
63 Posts
About 4 years ago I got cut off into a guardrail and elected to go the less expensive route with my silver 2001.

It was okay, very tough to get a decent metallic job for cheap. Last year I noticed some yellowing in the paint and this year the bondo is just starting to crack.

I love the Prelude but with a few hobby cars already it really has taken a back seat.

Your results may differ, but spending a bundle on paint at this point is a personal choice.

If it's just oxidation you may look at some polishing compounds; McGuires does a few in varying grits and then lastly they have have a Swirl Compound as a finisher. Might be worth looking into. I've had great luck with that stuff.

Good luck with it.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Claybar... or buy a Blue M3 Tesla... ;)

Took a while, buy after 20 years i finally found a suitable 450HP replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts