Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is an eletric water pump worth getting? i have to change my timing belt so i mite as well change the pump..

anyone every have any experience wit an electric one?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There is one offered for the H22 by Meziere. I think there's been some talk of it here at PO.com (use search), but AFAIK no one has one installed. You might be opening up a whole lot of trouble for very little gain. Maybe only 4-5 whp. I wouldn't suggest it for a street driven car.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
water pumps can give you gains???(i know why, just never heard of it before):shrug:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did a search before i posted but it brought up way too many misc. post with the words in it...couldn't go through them all...

its mostly for drag cars? hmm..i did not know that...i don't really car for gain from it..i just thought it might be more efficient and alot more durable...

still if anyone ever had any experience with them please feel free to add..

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
why not call up the company that makes it and ask them about it. tell them what its really made for and how durable it will be on the daily driven car. see what they say.

i really dont see why it wouldnt be good on a dily driver. Yes they are mostly designed for drag cars but it should give you some more efficiency to the stock operation.

·
Eh. :(
3,254 Posts
I've emailed meziere before. they told me that these work great on street cars.
based on the experiences of those who have them, I doubt that I was told the truth.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Reliability is more important than efficiency for something as critical as a water pump on a street car. I don't care what the manufacturer says -- there are so many more failure modes for an electric pump than a mechanical pump driven straight off the timing belt (blown fuse, alt/battery problems, connector corrosion, motor failure, etc. PLUS all the same mechanical pump parts that could fail).

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
crashandburn said:
Reliability is more important than efficiency for something as critical as a water pump on a street car. I don't care what the manufacturer says -- there are so many more failure modes for an electric pump than a mechanical pump driven straight off the timing belt (blown fuse, alt/battery problems, connector corrosion, motor failure, etc. PLUS all the same mechanical pump parts that could fail).
Yes all that you've stated is true, BUT..... you have to admit that its all relevant to the way it was built and the quality of parts used. LIke i wouldnt buy it if it was made by APC but if some reliable company like lets say SKUNK built it ...i would. Besides...I'm sure you can monitor it in some way to see if its working or not.

I would say just do more search on it...and defently talk to the company who made it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wouldn't talk to the company b/c although they mite be able to tell me if its good for street cars their main goal is to sell me the product..so no matter what thye won't tell me the negatives of the pump..so i jus try to rely on people that experienced it already

·
Registered
759 Posts
SK Honda 7 said:
you have to admit that its all relevant to the way it was built and the quality of parts used.
That's only relevant to the quality of the pump itself -- the best electrical pump in the world won't save you if the car's electrical system should happen to let it down.

Besides, are these really more efficient than the stock water pump? It takes a certain amount of power to drive the water pump (regardless of how it's driven) and that power has to come from somewhere. It seems to me that an electrical water pump does little more than shift the power drain from the timing belt to the alternator. This might give you some advantage if you remove your alt belt while you race and recharge your battery afterwards, but I don't see how it will improve power on a normal street car. :confused:

·
Eh. :(
3,254 Posts
wreck, the alt does actually require more effort to turn as more of a load is put on the charging system. to produce more current the alternator must either spin faster, or work within a stronger magnetic field. since the RPM is controlled by the engine, if it needs more power, greater current is fed through the windings. this makes the alternator harder to spin.
also, most electrical accessories don't run off of the battery, they run off of the alt.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The battery is just a container for energy; it doesn't create any energy. If your electrical system is working properly, the long term total of all energy into & out of the battery will even out at zero. The only SOURCE of electrical power in your car is the alternator. Every watt of electrical power in your car comes from the alternator eventually (or an external charger :) ). Which means that any electrically driven motor will still drain its power from your engine via the alternator.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here is a difference...

My 1986 BMW had one mechanical water pump for an unbelievable 254,000 miles. When it finally did go, it didn't go completely. In fact, since I was only commuting short distances, I drove it another 25,000 miles on a clunky broken water pump. Because it was mechanical, it still worked for the most part, and I only had to replace it when the shaft completely dismembered itself ;).

Needless to say, I have no point, but I thought that was a good story. I love my Prelude, but that Bimmer is a tank! My 325e has 327,000 miles on it! woohoo!

R.J.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts