Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 97 Prelude with a H22a4.

I am having overheating issues, which are seemingly caused by the fan not coming on when the engine is hot.

I've been doing lots of research and have change the radiator fan switch on the thermostat housing, I can no confirm that the fans do come on. However, it looks as if the car is still getting quite hot. The fans only kick in when the needle of the gauge is well over 50%.

I've checked the CEL codes, which are reporting error 6 (ECT). I'd like to replace that next, but for the life of me I can't workout whether or not the radiator fan switch sensor is the same as the ECT sensor, they look identical, I just want to be sure before using the wrong part.

Can anyone provide any help?

·
Boost Junkie
456 Posts
Hello,

I have a 97 Prelude with a H22a4.

I am having overheating issues, which are seemingly caused by the fan not coming on when the engine is hot.

I've been doing lots of research and have change the radiator fan switch on the thermostat housing, I can no confirm that the fans do come on. However, it looks as if the car is still getting quite hot. The fans only kick in when the needle of the gauge is well over 50%.

I've checked the CEL codes, which are reporting error 6 (ECT). I'd like to replace that next, but for the life of me I can't workout whether or not the radiator fan switch sensor is the same as the ECT sensor, they look identical, I just want to be sure before using the wrong part.

Can anyone provide any help?

ECT - Electronic Coolant Temp Sensor. its a single wire sensor on the back of the block and takes a decent sized socket to remove. do not use any thread sealant if replacing as it uses the block for grounding. do NOT over tighten. have you tried bleeding the system via the bleeder valve on the tstat housing? maybe theres bubbles in the system causing a false overheat reading.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts