Honda Prelude Online banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
245 Posts
This is another fine example of how by modifying a 4cyl engine with the attention of changing its effective power band from lets say 4500-7500 to 5500-8500, significant hp gains can be obtained. The only concern about that is above 7500 rpm the piston speeds are absolutely wicked on a long stroke engine and with out a set of balanced shafts re-tuned for this engines new characteristics , the 4cyl engines 2nd order vibration, depending on the resonate point of the new Engine at certain rpms, could be literately shaking the engine to death.The difference between a engine built by a manufacturer and a custom engine built like this is that the manufactured engine is designed to last at least 100k.One has to question just how long an engine like this can last if its regularly reved to 8.5k.Honda only had enough balls to let the S2000 2.2l long stroke engine rev to 8.2k and I think their were some durability enhancements made to that long stroke engine to enable repeated 8.2k revving.The Prelude engine I believe has a absolute 7800 rpm rev limit that uses a soft limiter to discourage above 7400 rpm revving .Their is a price to be paid for removing the rev limiter and disabling the balance shafts but just how high a price someone pays for taken such action is beyond my ability to assess.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What's your setup like?
differences to yours:

exhaust: vibrant header, 2,5" cat and skunk2 60mm catback

blox 66mm tb
skunk2 pro1 cams and pro cam gears, tuner valvesprings & titanium retainers
acura rdx 410cc injectors
ported head
aem cai & pulley kit

+ stock bottom and stock transmission
+ stock balance shaft things

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
differences to yours:

exhaust: vibrant header, 2,5" cat and skunk2 60mm catback

blox 66mm tb
skunk2 pro1 cams and pro cam gears, tuner valvesprings & titanium retainers
acura rdx 410cc injectors
ported head
aem cai & pulley kit

+ stock bottom and stock transmission
+ stock balance shaft things
Nice, good numbers for your setup :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Daaaamn dude those are some sick numbers to be getting running N/A!!!

This build is pretty similar to where I want to end up at with mine...except small changes like Euro R instead of the Skunk2, etc. Trying not to make it be all top end for DD'ing.

Motivates me to get a 3" K Teller kit and a good muffler to go with my Vibrant header today haha.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts