Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of KYB AGX with GCs installed and the shop didnt put the dust boots on. Is this bad, or would I be ok? Thanx

·
ANGER IS A GIFT!
4,481 Posts
You already know my view. In so I can track other peoples opinions.

I will give mine while I'm at it.

If you don't cut the boots and put them back in you are going to tear the top rubber rings(that you also did not install) and your springs can move out of place. You are more likely to tear up your bump stops if you don't replace them as well.

If you want to chance it go ahead. GC says to put them in. Maybe they would know what they are talking about??

·
I want to be a raper
2,766 Posts
i think both the rings and bumpstops are pretty hard to "tear" up, even if there are particles constantly moving around in there

·
ANGER IS A GIFT!
4,481 Posts
ice1cube said:
i think both the rings and bumpstops are pretty hard to "tear" up, even if there are particles constantly moving around in there

lets take the rears for example.

If you don't use the dust boots the spring sits right on the bump stop. Coilovers are gonna move. I don't care what anyone says. They aren't compressed like normal springs so they have a tendancy to move.

That movement is going to tear up the bump stops.

·
I want to be a raper
2,766 Posts
?? the spring sits on the bump stop how does THAT work? the spring definitely does NOT sit on the bump stops, the bump stops keep the car from bottoming out and they rest on the metal shafts that come out of the shock body, the bump stops get wedged in at the top of the metal shafts and move only when the suspension travels with bumps in the road and only get touched by anything when the suspension tries to bottom out....not sure what you're talking about man but bump stops never touch the springs in any way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts