Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to the track this weekend to finally see how fast my car goes (or see how crappy I drive).

Anyways I was thinking of taking out some weight (junk in trunk, spare, keep only 1/4 tank of gas), and throwing in some octane boost.

Any other suggestions??? My mods are, Fields SFC, DC headers, Crane ignition, coil, Magnecor wires, Denso Iridiums, Greddy EVO, Iceman CAI.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Drop your front tire pressure to 20psi and raise up your rear tire pressure a few notches. I actually prefer to drive with a half tank and did so when I got a 14.6. The reason is because it seems like my fuel isnt getting bounced around as much and actually being pushed thru the fuel pump more efficiently. Maybe thats just a placebo though.

I dont know if octane booster or race gas will really help since your not running any heavy mods or FI. I always run with 93 pump gas.

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bud1:
Going to the track this weekend to finally see how fast my car goes (or see how crappy I drive).

Anyways I was thinking of taking out some weight (junk in trunk, spare, keep only 1/4 tank of gas), and throwing in some octane boost.

Any other suggestions??? My mods are, Fields SFC, DC headers, Crane ignition, coil, Magnecor wires, Denso Iridiums, Greddy EVO, Iceman CAI.
</font>
Yo wassup...what kind of prelude do you have? You're from San Diego too? Which track are you heading to?

------------------
//935 Wiked Draggers
San Diego, CA
http://www.935draggers.com

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
935DragLude

Sup.. Going up to Carlsbad. Never been to a track but a few of my friends want to go up and see what kind of times we're running. Is your car a prelude? I've seen a CRX around where I live representing 935.

·
Registered
80 Posts
vabeachlude: did you run you 14.6 with a full interior? That's gotta be one of the best times I've seen for a 5gen with just i/e.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
I wouldn't run octane booster with stock internals or no f/i. Won't help you and will more than likely hurt a little.

I experimented with it, and race gas, back when I had stock internals and found that I ran faster with pump gas.

I also found that the times were the best when I ran stock air pressure, when I dropped it I could get off the line faster but it caused drag and lowered my m.p.h. I actually ended up running 1-2/10ths slower doing that.

You just have to get use to holding the revs while feathering the clutch out, feeling for traction. Tires and track conditions make a big difference on how high your rpms are when you launch. Don't bounce off of the limiter because it throws your air/fuel and timing a bit when launching.

My Toyo FZ4 225 50 15's actually respond to a little heating, most radials don't(except drag), and I launch at 5-5,500 rpms trying to stay in VTEC. First I do a burn out while holding the e brake up, and once the front tires start to drag the locked back tires I let down the e brake.

I do a couple of little test launches as I pull up to the line to feel for traction. As I stage I pull the e brake back up and once I have staged, while holding the e brake I put the power to the front wheels, feathering the clutch, until I feel the car wanting to pull slightly.

I hold it there until the tree drops and at as the last yellow starts to light up I let down the e brake and at about the same time launch, while still getting a feel for the traction, while holding the rpms at or above the VTEC kick in point.

I know this sounds like a lot but with practice you reaction time and 60 ft. times will improve, .500 being a perfect light. With these tires my best 60'ft. times are 2.15 right now.

Practice, practice, pratice.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slacker:

vabeachlude: did you run you 14.6 with a full interior? That's gotta be one of the best times I've seen for a 5gen with just i/e.
</font>

I took my spare/jack out and then took the back part of my back seat out. I dont know if taking the back seat out really helps that much but I did it just in case

I plan on scanning the timeslip tomorrow sometime, I just need to go in to my office to do it. I dont feel like doing that on a weekend though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts