Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a fan of Kumho V700. However, Supra 712 is a different story. The sidewall is too soft comparing to Yoko A520 or any other manufacturer. On 215-40ZR16 is no problem with Yoko 520 at all. Had 3 Supra 712 with tumors / Sidewall bubble (so far) on less than 10,000 miles (since November 2000). On one of them brand new with less 1,000 mile. Got these from Tirerack and they gave a wholesale price. Tirerack did not even bother to offer to look at my tire. The tire with about 10,000 mile was shredded to pieces on the freeway. Today, another tire with only 3,000 miles is bubbling on the inside again. The tire would bubble differently after so many miles. My Lude is stock with nothing done to it. Called Kumho customer service today. It's easier to get the Virgin out of Mary then get Kumho to ackowledge some type of credit.


Just stay away from Supra 712 and save headaches. Get what you paid for!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
That sucks (cause I have two Kuhmo's on the front)


But that still doesn't mean that Kuhmo's suck. Every 40 series Nitto tire I have ever seen developed tumors/bubbles on the inner tire wall also. I hear this year Nitto is using a lot better quality now, or so I read in SCC. (but what do they know)

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OvaDaLimiT:
are the sumitomo's any better?
Aren't they both pretty cheap tires? (Price wise at least).

Oh well...i'm glad i got the 730's...i was this close to buying the kumho's or sumitomo's


</font>
i've hit a countless number of potholes in the 10k miles that i've had them on for. but that last one gave me a bubble on the sidewall. it was unavoidable, or just that i didnt see it. i'd recommend the sumitomo's... really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,437 Posts
i have about 5000 miles and 3 autocrosses on my set, no problems yet...


my first choice was the 730's, but they were forever on backorder in tirerack...

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
I like to rub my nipples while watching the shopping channel </font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
i have about 5000 miles and 3 autocrosses on my set, no problems yet...


my first choice was the 730's, but they were forever on backorder in tirerack...

</font>
Dude I was in the same situation but I held out for the 730's. Turns out they got them in stock early this month instead of May like they were projecting. I had them installed on Friday and already got to test some wet traction. They are sick, I highly recommend them.



------------------
2000 EBP Civic Si
http://webguy.dcaff.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2kEBPCivicSI:
Dude I was in the same situation but I held out for the 730's. Turns out they got them in stock early this month instead of May like they were projecting. I had them installed on Friday and already got to test some wet traction. They are sick, I highly recommend them.</font>
early this month?? you know what, they were supposed to come in in JANUARY... and i's going to take a cross-country trip so i couldn't really wait.

i still love them, no bubbles


------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
I like to rub my nipples while watching the shopping channel </font>
 

·
0_0
Joined
·
623 Posts
I don't know if you guys have a costco where you guys are, but here in the bay area, the costco tire shops get shipments of the 730's in almost every week. They are special order items though, so they're not readily in stock. But once ordered, they come in pretty fast to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
are the Kumho 712s really that bad? Those were going to be my next set of tires. I have heard lots of good reviews of it. MOre so then bad reviews....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeshlude:
I don't know if you guys have a costco where you guys are, but here in the bay area, the costco tire shops get shipments of the 730's in almost every week. They are special order items though, so they're not readily in stock. But once ordered, they come in pretty fast to them.</font>
hey! There are bunch of costco's where i live(so cal). how are their tire prices compared to tirerack?

730's at tirerack are going for
$95 for the 205/55/15's and
$104 for the 206/50/16's.



------------------
kimchi cures cancer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A96HondaAccordCoupeEX:
i just got my kumhos for about 4 weeks now and no problem at all. great tires. What do you mean "bubble on sidewall"???? I dont understand. thanks

</font>
ya know when you hit a huge pothole? well, when and if you do (knock on wood), a bubble comes out on the sidewall of the tire. if you take the tire of the rim and look inside, there should be a slash. the bubble on my last set of tires was about the size of a baseball. when i looked inside, the slash was about 2 1/2 in. long.
 

·
0_0
Joined
·
623 Posts
The prices at cotsco arent' that bad. 205/50/16's are going for $120.99 (according to my friend that works there). It may cost more, but at least you won't have to sit at home and wait for the fedex guy to deliver the tires, cause if no one is home to accept them, they don't drop them in front of your door. When i ordered my tires, the fedex people never tried to redeliver them to me when they said they would. I had to call everywhere to find out if they were gonna get dropped off to me again or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeshlude:
The prices at cotsco arent' that bad. 205/50/16's are going for $120.99 (according to my friend that works there). It may cost more, but at least you won't have to sit at home and wait for the fedex guy to deliver the tires, cause if no one is home to accept them, they don't drop them in front of your door. When i ordered my tires, the fedex people never tried to redeliver them to me when they said they would. I had to call everywhere to find out if they were gonna get dropped off to me again or not.</font>
Hmmm...does this price include anything like installation...balancing...insurance? Thanks!



------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber
 

·
0_0
Joined
·
623 Posts
I'm not sure how much install/balance is, but i think its $9 per wheel, so $36 total. I beleive you also get a lifetime warranty thing with costco or something (or that jsut might be for employees, i dunno).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
ya know when you hit a huge pothole? well, when and if you do (knock on wood), a bubble comes out on the sidewall of the tire. if you take the tire of the rim and look inside, there should be a slash. the bubble on my last set of tires was about the size of a baseball. when i looked inside, the slash was about 2 1/2 in. long. </font>

well i've hit hella pot holes and bad railroad tracks already. Zero damages to my rims and tires. I've even ran over a dead bird. Accident, it was late and i didnt see it til it was too late. I still dont understand this "bubble". Got pics? Is it just like a lump on the sidewall? Or does it make the whole tire look flat?

On my old stock tires, i had a flat and drive it about 50 yards totally flat before i pulled over. I got it patched up, but it never looked the same. Well it does, but it just doesnt look "full" ya know.

------------------
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top