Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
the satisfier
808 Posts
Why do you not want to use OEM seals? I mean who are you gonna yell at if it leaks?

By the way, the correct spelling is gasket. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Maybe its a 20-mile drive to the nearest Honda dealership for the guy, but he's got an Autozone right around the corner - who knows?

IMO, simple parts like that, it doesn't really matter. When I changed my distributor cap and rotor, I got Wells brand - that's what Autozone had, and it was a bit cheaper than from the dealership. No difference in quality.

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,891 Posts
for a valve cover gasket you would be fine using a fel-pro or such. but when you get to stuff like head gaskets, never use anything but OEM.

·
Registered
973 Posts
i like oem replacement parts > aftermarket auto part store stuff. i feel more comfortable with oem honda parts for certain things like gaskets, timing belt, water pump,and ignition components. but i also get 20% off so that helps too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
its like buy printer ink :) you can spent the extra $ and get the orignal manufactor's ink cartridge or get a 3rd party brand

you get the "safe of mind" feeling if you get the OEM stuff but 3rd party is usually less expensive. Do you like Coca Cola or grocery brand X cola

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
another thing to remember is that Honda has the exact measurements of the motor. Some aftermarket companies might have to masure this points themselves, leaving room for error.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
^ word. better to get the original then a copy of an original.

it'll never be acurate or good as the original.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
JakeTheSlayer said:
another thing to remember is that Honda has the exact measurements of the motor. Some aftermarket companies might have to masure this points themselves, leaving room for error.
I don't think its too hard for a company that makes automotive parts to exactly copy an oem gasket.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
brendon2k said:

I don't think its too hard for a company that makes automotive parts to exactly copy an oem gasket.
You obviously haven't dealt with many aftermarket parts... Their tolerance is 100x higher than Honda's tolerance. It's not a matter of if they can copy, but if their production standards are anywhere near Honda's. The best example is Honda bearings. NO ONE (short of 100% custom) can compare with Honda bearings. Again, saving $2 on a valve cover gasket that you MAY change once every 100k miles just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
It doesn't really matter. Companies get into business to be successful and make a quality product. The ones that don't aren't going to stick around. Most all Honda's parts are made to Honda spec by OTHER companies. You can be safe generally with most non OEM parts. Its just a peace of mind thing that you are seeing in this thread and hence the recommendations.

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
use OEM parts on critical components like teh head gasket, if its like the valve cover gasket, it shouldnt matter

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the input, yeah, i only need the valve cover gasket, it's rubber so i thought rubber is rubber

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sorry folks--Rubber is NOT rubber. May llok and even feel the same. Can you guarantee that the material is exactly the same-I don't think so. Also Honda has other people make the parts to a controlled set of specs that the vendor is not allowed to use.

Peace of mind is very imprtant for internal parts and things like pumps. It is also important that one use the correct sealing materials and gaskets. Hondabond, for example, is not the same as the RTV from Permatex. Which do you want-lower price and a quality that is similar to the OEM or are you willing to spend a few $$$ more for the real thing-your choice? Me, I'll use OEM parts.
As I was told at HyperFest while discussing my broken distributor-buy NOTHING but OEM and fix it. The person is an independent tech and racer whoe really knows the products.
For those who don't know-if you are a member of various clubs (AAA, Hondaclub.com, etc) a lot of dealers will give you a nice discount for over-the-counter buys. Also, use your leverage with a printout from Majestic-my dealer matches or beats it.

Happy motoring

·
Registered
381 Posts
it dependes on what you're buying. You can get the exact same spark plug from walmart for half the price. AEM sells honda braked pads for half the price (i think the AEM compound is a bit different, but the pads are made at the same factory). I can go to NAPA and buy the exact same distributor cap (and i think the destributor itself too) for half the price. I'd probably go with honda remanued stuff because they rebuild it on the cheap at honda, but do it even cheaper through other companies.

by and large honda builds thier replacement parts every bit as cheaply and poorly as they can, because the replacement parts is where a car company makes their money.

I'd say for the big stuff go with honda, but all the little stuff isn't really gonna matter, cause it's probably made by the same company no matter where you go to buy it.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
some things are just good to get from Honda, others are not

·
Registered
777 Posts
eh, we'll see. I just baught a distributor, its brand new, not rebuild. Came with a one year warrenty so i'm not worried. I'll let ya guys know, it comes tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts