Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
white diamond pearl
paint code*NH603P*

Thinking about having my cf hood painted this color but not sure if it's a 3 stage color. It's the color on the 97-98 preludes

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Not all pearls are three stage. The only one for preludes that is three is the Milano Red, but isn't a true three stage....(unless I am reading the TSB wrong).

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Yep, Diamond White is a 3 stage paint. I had a friend of mine who works at a body shop do some painting for me.

By the way, Diamond White was only available on 98 Preludes. There was no white offered on 97 model year Preludes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool thanks for the info :)

·
Because Raptor!
955 Posts
definatly a tri stage (3 stage) base, mid pearl coat, and clear.

All white pearls are tri stage (at least everyone I've came across). The reason is the white pigment is so strong that it doesn't allow the pearl to show through if its mixed in with the white toner.

I tried making a white with a blue pearl on time and put tons of pearl in it and it never made any difference.

·
Because Raptor!
955 Posts
Qveon said:
My book says NH-603P is a Base/Clear...so 2 stage
base/clear designates the type of paint either base/clear or single stage. It doesn't tell you how many stage paint it is, since a tri-stage is still base/clear

·
RHD Club
2,240 Posts
j_t_heilbrun said:
base/clear designates the type of paint either base/clear or single stage. It doesn't tell you how many stage paint it is, since a tri-stage is still base/clear
for milano red, my book says Base/mid/clear. Guess its just my book. :p

·
Because Raptor!
955 Posts
thats weird, remember my book says milano red is a 2 stage.

Does it list two formulas for the diamond white or just one.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
alphajesse said:
I can assure you, Premium Pearl White is 3-stage paint.
You should have seen the bodyshop bill to repaint both bumpers.
You know...... I was POSITIVE it was....... I didn't mention it because after reviewing the '97 TSB, it said it wasn't. I was looking at the wrong white (I was at work and trying not to get caught on the net :laugh:) I do know that it is the absolute HARDEST paint to match though........ :eek:

j_t_heilbrun said:
Was I interpreting the TSB wrong? Milano Red is a 2 stage with colour added into the clear....... Base (1 colour), Clear (with colour mixed in).

Premium White Pearl says the same thing in the TSB, but I thought that it was Base white, then pearl white, then clear...... 3 stage.

I am confused....... someone please correct me....... :dumb:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
My EGP is a pearl and it is a 2 stage. I think it also depends on the type of paint you use..... some brands require 2 stage and some a 3 stage for the same colour. Not really sure how it works or why though.

·
RHD Club
2,240 Posts
j_t_heilbrun said:
thats weird, remember my book says milano red is a 2 stage.

Does it list two formulas for the diamond white or just one.
i dunno i don't have the mixing book. i have the chip book. and for Chroma-Base its a 3 stage. for Nason its 2 stage for milano red.

·
Because Raptor!
955 Posts
sometimes different brands require a tri stage like in the case of Milano Red PPG requires a tri stage and Sherwinn Williams uses a 2 stage.

Not all pearls are tri stage just pearl whites.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I hope that you take it to a really good body shop because every dealer and body shop I have spoken to says that Diamond Pearl White is an absolute ***** to match correctly. I was gonna have a small nick on the car resprayed...but after hearing how difficult it is to match I decided I rather have a small spot than different colored panels.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
j_t_heilbrun said:
sometimes different brands require a tri stage like in the case of Milano Red PPG requires a tri stage and Sherwinn Williams uses a 2 stage.

Not all pearls are tri stage just pearl whites.

Isn't that what I said???? :laugh: Thanks for the confirmation though..... and the clarity:smoker:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a local place do some work for me before. They did an absolutly awsome job, my whole car was repainted other then the pass. door and the pass. rear quarter panel. However that was also at someone else's expense :D . I called them again about getting the hood painted to match and they quoted me $700-$800 :eek: . They said they had to remove and paint both fenders as well as the hood in order to get a good match. There was another place that I called and they quoted me $150 if it was a two stage and $180 if it was 3 stage. I've seen there work on a friend of mine's prelude which was pearl white also (1999).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts