Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going through a hard turn my car would lift the inside wheel clear off the ground (literally), and then the car would understeer like mad.

I took the front bar off today while i was messing with my setup. I haven't really gotten to drive it much, i was just wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences without the front bar they might be willing to share.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
That was your fault, not the front sway bar.
You can try without the front bar, but I don't see any grounds for improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
lightlude said:
going through a hard turn my car would lift the inside wheel clear off the ground (literally),
Are you talking about the inside rear wheel or the inside front wheel? I find it hard to believe that a front wheel drive car can lift the inside front wheel under hard cornering. However, it is possible to lift the inside front wheel if there is lots of grip on the surface (like Topeka), but if that happens, you're usually on the two outside wheels only (if enough grip and speed, the car will actually roll on its side).

If you don't have a bigger rear swaybar, disconnecting (or removing) the front swaybar will help the car corner better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I run no front bar, but would only do this will really stiff suspension.. I use 800ft and 1000-1200lb rear springs.. I love not having it on!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's definitely lifting the front inside wheel. Actually, it really only does it when i accelerate out of the corner. I say it is lifting the wheel because when i accelerate the engine just revs freely, and then when the turn starts to straighten out i can feel the wheel jolt when it comes back on the ground.

I got to drive it around a little more today, and i must say that it does accelerate out of the turns better. I won't get to see how it affects the balance of the car until the next autocross though.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
lightlude said:
it's definitely lifting the front inside wheel. Actually, it really only does it when i accelerate out of the corner. I say it is lifting the wheel because when i accelerate the engine just revs freely, and then when the turn starts to straighten out i can feel the wheel jolt when it comes back on the ground.
The reason the engine revs freely is because you are spinning the inside front tire due to the fact that you have an open differential and you are at WOT, NOT because the inside front wheel is lifting.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right. so because i have the inside tire off the ground and because i have an open differential and because i am at WOT the inside tire spins freely, and hence, the engine spins freely.

I should mention that it makes no screeching noise. no tire noise what so ever.

anywho, the real question is if anyone else runs without the front bar. Especially any other 3rd genners?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
lightlude said:
right. so because i have the inside tire off the ground and because i have an open differential and because i am at WOT the inside tire spins freely, and hence, the engine spins freely.

I should mention that it makes no screeching noise. no tire noise what so ever.
The inside tire spins freely doesn't mean that wheel is off the ground. The tire doesn't screech doesn't mean the wheel is off the ground either. Some tires don't make noise even when the tires are spinning.

Unless you have pictures.....no......unless you have video clips showing your inside front wheel is off the ground under cornering, I still don't believe that you can lift the front inside wheel on a FF car.

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
Sounds like you need to modulate the throttle better if you are getting inside wheel spin out of corners. Try to ease the throttle in, as apposed to mashing the gas pedal.

BTW - I usually run with the front (and rear) sway bar attached, however, after winning last weekends RAIN event with both bars removed I might continue to do so under wet conditions.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok. IGNORING whether or not the sway bar is lifting the inside wheel, i've been tooling around for a bit now without it, and it definitely keeps the inside wheel planted on the ground better, allowing more gas out of the turns. Of course, i've only bit playing around a bit on the road, and won't really see how it affects the balance of the car until 2 sundays from now. I've been thinking that if the car doesn't balance well, I might figure out how stiff the sway bar is and add it to the springs.

·
Registered
909 Posts
do you think with neuspeed race and konis it would be beneficial to ditch the front swaybar?

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
Brady92/4WS said:
do you think with neuspeed race and konis it would be beneficial to ditch the front swaybar?
What are you doing with the car? What is happening that you think you need to remove the bar?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just ran my last event without my front bar. Although I did not win (but it's not like I ever do) I did not feel that the car was unbalanced. And not having the front bar DEFINITLY does allow more gas coming out of the turn, because by the very nature of the bar it unloads the inside wheel. Without it, there is more load on the inside wheel for more traction.

Although I am going to give it one or two more events, I do think that the spring rates need to be increased... I just need a little more time to figure out how much and where.

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
Well, all of this discussion about this and I have a advanced driver's school this weekend, so I will test it out and see how it goes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts