Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought the car, when I start up in the morning, I always let it warm up for about 5 mins before I drive away. No big deal but I've always thought it was a 'kindness' to the car,I love my lude, doesn't cost anything etc, etc.
However I was talking to a colleague of mine about cars in general and happened to mention this and he said that according to the manual of the car he drives you shouldn't do this and is actually detrimental to the engine.
So I obviously thought "oh F***" and knew I had my next new topic for the Board.
Is it a problem for the Lude or not?

------------------

·
Registered
324 Posts
I dunno if its good or bad, but I don't have patience to wait, I just go. Nothing over 3000 RPM until the water temp gauge is in the middle tho.

------------------
Flavour
98 Base, Black
I/H, pulleys, tb, p&p, cams
Tein HA's, LSD, strut bars
JUN flywheel, Mugen clutch
www.hondaprelude.to

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
on cold cold days i let it idle for about 30 seconds, to get all the oil circulated, then drive it at low rpms till the needle is in the middle. I read that its bad to let it idle for long periods of time when you're warming up b/c the oil doesn't coat properly? I forget, i'm sure its a trivial issue in the long run with all the things cars go through in the real world.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
i know for a fact if u live in very cold areas u should warm up your engine before driving it out, especailly if its a stop and go type.

i also think its a VERY established belief that its basically good to let your car warm up before driving it. i even believe in that too even though i dont usually do it. but i dunno, its the first time i heard that it can actually be detrimental todo this...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I find that there's another limiter that cuts off power at 6000rpm when the engine hasn't had enough time to warm up - summer OR winter. I think it might be on a timer or something, because after 1 or 2 minutes of regular driving, I can bring it right up to 8000rpm.

Mind you, I drive the snot out of my SH, so I'm not terribly concerned about babying it.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flavour:
I dunno if its good or bad, but I don't have patience to wait, I just go. Nothing over 3000 RPM until the water temp gauge is in the middle tho.

</font>
True Dat!

------------------
"drive fast, be yorself, and party till she's cute!

Originally posted by some canadian guy:
Like I said, Road trip - baseball bat

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Sometimes I let mine sit for 15 mins
Then she sits and warms herself up before i jump in for action. By that time her love juices are flowing and circulated and shes ready for a good romp

ray

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2kLuder:
Sometimes I let mine sit for 15 mins
Then she sits and warms herself up before i jump in for action. By that time her love juices are flowing and circulated and shes ready for a good romp

ray
</font>
15 mins????

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was wondering about this a few years ago. I read a couple FAQ's that stated what the Honda Manual states. Just warm up a minute or so then drive off (moderate driving). The FAQ's stated that the oil actually circulates around the engine faster under normal driving than letting the car sit at idle. Quicker oil circulation meaning engine longevity because of the ability of the oil to get to those areas quicker where the oil has drained back to the oil pan.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just start the engine and wait till the oil pressure light on the dash disapeared, then you are good to go, which takes less then 1 second. Then drive but do not rev the engine untill the water temp rasie to normal level. I personaly do this everyday, and it's a complete warm up of car not just for the motor.

·
Registered
825 Posts
i warm it up until the RPM go under 1k

------------------
KQ
98 Pearl White SH
92 Baby Blue S (sold)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Shower= 15 mins. But thats not very often, othertimes its about 5 mins.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Usually I like to spank that azz as soon as the ***** wakes up. Oh, yeah, the car. I let it idle for at least 10 seconds, then am tearing ass away, bouncing off the rev limiter.

Cars today are wonderful. Oil pressure comes up almost immediately and oil stays where it should. In general, you should let your car warm up until you can't hear it ticking, that is, if it's ticks when cold and then goes away. This means your valvetrain has the oil it needs.

Seriously, I'd keep out of redline until the temp comes up. Fortunatley the 5th gen does the thinking for us and lowers the rev limit while cold. Keeps leadfoots like myself from doing too much permanent damage.

Note: cars warm up faster while driving. Let the valvetrain oil up, then take off but take it easy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have turbo so I have to let it warm up.

------------------
Jeffrey
1998 Honda Prelude
FMAX Turbo Kit

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
One minute and i'm gone...but i usually let the engine run idle before i turn it off after Vtec'ing.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
i think it is good to let at least 30 seconds of letting your car idle because if you notice right when you start up the car it revs up to like 1500 but after like 10 sex it drops to a good 1200. wait atleast like 30 secs that way it goes down a lil bit and it drives smoother also.

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have to let my car warm up allt he way cuz if i drive it with out warming up my shifter is very notchy and raw, does you guys transmission do that? i have to let it warm up or its hard to shift

1 - 20 of 80 Posts