Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check your oil. I burn about a quart every 1,500 miles. I already spoke to the dealership. They told me it was normal for about 10,000 miles. If it continues after that, they will look more into it.

Enjoy your Lude! I know I do!

------------------
Life begins at 5,000RPM

·
Registered
658 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ferrd:
Check your oil. I burn about a quart every 1,500 miles. I already spoke to the dealership. They told me it was normal for about 10,000 miles. If it continues after that, they will look more into it.

Enjoy your Lude! I know I do!

</font>
I would say it's normal for the life of the car.

·
Registered
725 Posts
wedge,

How much oil does your car burn? I drive my car pretty hard and I don't find the need to add oil at all.

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Registered
285 Posts
From what I have read, there are some lucky Lude owners out there, who do not have the problem. Unfortunately for me, I'm not one of them. Adding some oil now and then doesn't bother me. My oil consumption would probably be less, if I didn't drive my car so hard.

------------------
Life begins at 5,000RPM

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Yes, the 2001's still burn oil.

I've added 1 quart every 1000 miles up until 6000. I added 1 more at 8500. I'm currently at 9600. So, maybe the consumption is starting to taper off.

Check your oil frequently (every fill-up).

·
Registered
658 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Buckwild:
wedge,

How much oil does your car burn? I drive my car pretty hard and I don't find the need to add oil at all.

</font>
A quart every 1,000 miles no matter how gingerly I drive it. Break-in, dino, synthetic--it don't matter. Quite a large portion of Luders burn oil, and most are around the same rate of consumption as well.

At least i'm getting accurate dipstick readings the instant I shut off the motor now though!

·
Registered
295 Posts
damn you guys burn a lot of oil. ive got about 10,000 miles and i've done 2 oil changes. after the first change i had to add about a quart during the 3000 miles. but after the 2nd oil change i haven't added any and i've gone over 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Oil burning would be bad, I am no chemical engineer but wouldn't burning oil leave residue in your engine? *touch wood* but my baby doen't eat any oil. Then again I rarely spank her hard

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ferrd:
From what I have read, there are some lucky Lude owners out there, who do not have the problem. </font>
Add me to the "lucky lude owners" list. For some reason, I don't think I've ever burned a drop. I'm not kidding. I check it regularly. I don't vtec a lot, but then again, I'm not a prude either. I hit it about 10 times a week. I've got 15,700 miles, and I'm on my 4th oil change, and my 2nd round of Mobil 1.

------------------
My new mechanic

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited April 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm going back to dino mobil 1, not synthetic anymore, adding that synth every 1000 gets expensive espically when ya drive 3500 miles a month

------------------

On the prowl for some booty and blowin VTEC dust in the direction of the busters

1 - 13 of 13 Posts