Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or are they just for looks I mean how much heat can it disapate? I might get one just for the hell of it but I was just wondering if it really did anything.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I don't think they are oil Filter coolers, just oil coolers which cool the circulating oil in the system- not just at the filter. I know race cars use them, but I don't know if they are feasible for daily driving or even a weekend warrior unless you go pretty hard.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I know some other members will help us out on this...

------------------
92 Prelude Si
Silver Bullet
Too many mods to list...
Check out setup at hondaprelude.com (4th gen., "BionicKris")
AOL IM: BionicKris

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
There is a product that is an oil filter cooler. It's basically an aluminum pipe with 'heat fins' (like on an amplifier) that slides over your oil filter, thus helping to dissipate the heat better. More show than go, IMO.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
i dont think cooling a little bit of ur oil (if any) with that product will provide anything in the butt dyno. its like hoping for gains by changing ur new vacuum hoses with colored ones (woohoo). the only thing it might do is help the engine run smoother and easier but still that oil filter cooler looks fake and useless and will not coll the oil... imo

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 22, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Oil coolers are a good thing to have but I'm not sure it's going to make too much of a difference in everyday driving. Cooler oil is NOT a bad thing. I don't think oil coolers are meant for performance gains it's more like a way to prolong the life of the engine(?) If I am wrong someone correct me but that is what I got out of reading some literature on them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i can't really think of a situation in which oil coolers would be bad, and i agree with Joon its more about engine life than horsepower. if i were running a turbo then i'd definitely get one, for N/A....yeah maybe, if i couldn't think of anything else to do and it was actually needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts