Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make much difference if these parts are replaced with OEM Honda parts or with whatever a shop can find that will fit? (I probably won't go to the dealer if I don't have to). I don't know anything about ignition systems so I don't know if they are sort of universal and almost anything of decent quality can be used or what. I'm not going to do these myself, as I just don't think I'm going to have time to learn by trial and error before Pocono.

btw: I finally got a helmet!

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
I recommend you use Honda only, but really b/c they are cheap. hparts.com and manhonda.com usually keep these in stock and can ship immediately. I would suggest you keep using yours until you can get the real thing.

When it comes to metal mounted in plastic, I wouldn't trust any but the best manufacturing process. I haven't had problems with the generics or "house" brands parts stores carry, but when they are the same price I feel a lot more comforable buying OEM. You're also a lot more likely to get the right parts

They aren't hard to do yourself, you just need to know how. And how not to strip the dist. rotor button screw, which is probably the #1 (and only) problem with this maintenence.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
I had a problem getting to the screw in the first place. I had to turn the key, without letting it turn over and start. After doing that a fwe times (I'm sure my starter didn't like it) I was finally able to get to the screw. Then, broke the end of the screwdriver off. So yeah. It's a pretty tight screw. Be careful. Other than that... simple.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
I recommend you use Honda only, but really b/c they are cheap. hparts.com and manhonda.com usually keep these in stock and can ship immediately.
</font>
Ha! Amazing. The local Honda dealer quoted me $45 for the two, Manhonda is going to give them to me $36 shipped. I suppose the markup for any other shop's house brand would be just as sever as the Honda dealers.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Yes, be careful with the button screw!

If you break that thing off inside there your looking at taking the distributor off to get to it. What a pain!

I agree that the Honda parts are the best and cheap, so I would stick with those.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
And how not to strip the dist. rotor button screw, which is probably the #1 (and only) problem with this maintenence. </font>
So how not to strip...using a torque screwdriver? or just lots of pressure while gently turning? Please advise as I will be doing a tune-up soon. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts