Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd go off on a quick rant on my own stupidity....

Though I've read like 200 posts about how the H22A eats oil, I almost never checked my oil when getting gas. It was only because I was due for an oil change, and my car was bogging that I opened the hood and checked. What did I find? about 1 mm (yes, millimeter) of very black oil on the very bottom of the dipstick. After my heart attack abated I was able to put 3 qts in and get it over to the dealer the very next morning for a full battery of scheduled maintenence. Car runs fine.... No apparent damage. A serious lesson learned and some nightmares about how close I came to buying a new engine.

Moral of the story:

CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARLY!!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dka:
what intervals do you do oil changes at?</font>

Every 3K. Now I'm considering shorter intervals. Not to mention checking the oil once a week...... What do you recomend?

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is the second car I've owned and I've noticed that I can tell when my car either needs oil or needs an oil change. Basically, I feel the Lude is running low whenever the engine sounds ruff at around 3-3.5 rpms. Usually after a fresh oil change, this range is easily and smoothly reached. However, when I'm low on oil, the engine sounds a bit louder, grainer, rougher. That's what happened about two weeks ago. I checked the oil, it was just under the lower tick mark, and I added a full quart. I don't know if that's too much or too little, but it helped. Oh, this was 1,500 miles after my last oil change.

I might be paranoid, but my car seems to be reaching the point where i might need to add some more? Do you guys think I should just ride it out till the next oil change? Does two quarts in between oil changes to be safe sound like too much?

This is why I don't want to switch to a synthetic. It'll cost me $35 to keep my car happy ~6+2 quarts!?!?!

G

·
I think the harder you are on the engine, the more oil it burns. When I'm revving around a lot, my oil decreases like super fast.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The richer your car runs the more oil you will consume...after installing a v-afc and leaning out the mixture I've noticed a dramatic decrease in oil consumption...this was also what my honda mechanic told me. 5gens run very rich stock so it shouldn't be surprising that so many us consume oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts