Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my Mugen headers and exhaust installed on my 97 lude and I think the installer forgot to wipe the headers down after he mounted them! Looks like the areas that he touched are discolored. I know it's not a big deal, but it would be nice to know if there was a way to clean them after the fact so that it's all one color (as it should be) I was thinking of complaining to the installer on this too..

------------------
97 Prelude
Mugen headers/exhaust
AEM CAI
bunch of nyc dents

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
wait till they haved cooled down then use some metal polisher. Or a SOS pad might work. I wouldn't say shiet to the mechanic, they will dick with you next time you go there for something.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
there is no way to clean that out. they will eventually turn black like my DC SS. the more i tried to clean it, the worse it got. my mechanic did the same thing, forgot to wipe off his damn fingerprints.

·
Registered
268 Posts
try nail remover...
something with alcool that evaporates easy..

don't use a lot though..

and wipe it off..

if it's burned in..there is not much u can do

mmm how's ur mugen system ???
u like it ?
sound goods?
noticed any gains/loss ??

and how much u paid for it..

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
there is no way to clean that out. they will eventually turn black like my DC SS. the more i tried to clean it, the worse it got. my mechanic did the same thing, forgot to wipe off his damn fingerprints.
</font>
Do you think that the oil off his hand would f-it up that quick??

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FukDupt:

Do you think that the oil off his hand would f-it up that quick??

</font>
it did.
i'm pissed cuz HE started the car after it was installed... i was on the other side of the garage chatting with someone, so i didn't know that he started the car. or else i would have cleaned it myself.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JinMTVT:
try nail remover...
something with alcool that evaporates easy..

don't use a lot though..

and wipe it off..

if it's burned in..there is not much u can do

mmm how's ur mugen system ???
u like it ?
sound goods?
noticed any gains/loss ??

and how much u paid for it..
</font>
I love this system (except for the discoloration). When driving normally, it's only alittle bit louder than stock. However, when I punch it, it makes a nice deeeep sound and I can definitely feel the gains from this i/h/e combo that I have on my lude.

I will try to grab my friend's md recorder and see if I can get record how it sounds.

Price - well...I got it from Kings - so I paid their full price on it...no regrets though

------------------
97 Prelude
Mugen headers/exhaust
AEM CAI
bunch of nyc dents

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
</font>
Damn...So there's no way of cleaning this up? I mean it's not burnt in anyway right now...I've only had it installed for about 2-3 weeks right now. From looking at it, I can see the color that it's suppose to be and then I see these weird blue marks where the oils from the installers hands were on. Hopefully there's a way to save this... It's only astetics (sp?) but at $1k it's worth being a bit anal

I'll post a pic of what it looks like when I find my cam

------------------
97 Prelude
Mugen headers/exhaust
AEM CAI
bunch of nyc dents

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
i know what you're talking about... it's gone, no way it's coming out. trust me. sorry to say it though...
i was hoping that you only had it on for 2-3 days...

i was in the same situation... only saw a couple of finger prints on the tubing, so i proceeded to clean them off. but it just got worse...

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Isn't there quite a bit of difference in quality between DC and Mugen headers? It might be worth a shot, but then again it COULD make things worse like imagepree said...

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Try using MAAS, or a polish cleaner to get the discoloration off. You might even want to ask jewelers their "secrets" to how they keep jewelry looking brand new.

------------------
AIM screename: jsarino
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH:
AEM cai, DC Sports SS header, Mugen exhaust, RH Evo CP-035s, GC/Konis, Spoon bars, and more!

·
&quot;PO Doc&quot;
1,484 Posts
there is no way to clean them. Might as well give up and give them to me

Neel

·
Registered
800 Posts
I haven't tried it on my headers but someone said that at motorcycle shops (ones that sell Harleys) they sell polish that will take the tarnish off. Probably worth a try. I'm going to try it when it gets a little less wet out.

I don't think I'd try the SOS pad thing. I don't really want to scratch the crap out of something I paid almost $1K on.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
191 Posts
The only way to get the black stuff off is to toke off the header and wet sand it with very fine grit paper.

Trust me it works, the hand prints will be removed but it takes a few hours of sanding and polishing to bring back the shine.

And once your done, you install it and after about 10 mins watch it turn bronze again.

My friend has already done this to his header because the person that owned it before him spilt oil all over it, so it was black like tar !

After a few hours of sanding the header looks better than new !

·
Registered
610 Posts
You learned the hard way, that you never give the grease monkeys a chance to touch stuff. Because if it looks nice your getting it back with finger prints all over it. This is what I did with my exhaust.

I cut the old rags off after they were completly finished, and I never left the cars side the whole time.

------------------
Marshall McLean
97 Prelude SH
<A HREF="http://www.hondaprelude.to" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

My Home Page

1 - 16 of 16 Posts