Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys,
So literally I just got the idle problem fixed (FITV) and drove home, on the way I noticed the car had come increasingly harder to get in gear. Not just one gear but, all 5. It feels like when I hold the shifter to where a normal shift would be made, that it takes a few seconds then it goes in. However, its almost as if i'm having to jerk it in gear.

Now as far as I can tell the clutch doesn't slip and holds rpms back fine but, something definitely isn't right.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

2001 Prelude Base 114k mi. I'm not sure if clutch has ever been replaced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tried that and it will go in gears when not running without clutch in. I don't know if this is associated w this problem but I have noticed when I start the car the accelerator pedal is kind of hard for a moment, until I depress it really firmly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Its most likely the clutch. No idea when it was replaced before? Who owned it before? It might still be on the original clutch. Check for leaks with the master and slave cylinders and make sure you got fluid in the reservoir.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All I can tell you is that being on the road and a clutch going out. Been there, done that. I can tell you I drove a 97 Civic with a shot 3rd gear synchro for about 18 months and it never fully failed. If you let the tach come back down before you shift into 5th, does it go in any easier?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure I haven't really tried it. But, it isn't just in 5th its in every gear. and it seems like this problem happened over night. I will pay careful attention to detail today when I drive.

·
Unregistered
4,054 Posts
Have you checked your fluids? Notice any leaks in the clutch's hydraulic system?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fluids weren't low and I haven't noticed any leaks. It's like when I put it in gear I have to wait a second and keep pushing where the gear should fall, and then its delayed but it goes into gear.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Throwout bearing

Will do. What were your symptoms of the throwout bearing?
It started all of a sudden, it was hard from a stop to get it to engage in to gear. I would have to pump the clutch several times to finally get it to go into first gear, then it would shift ok through the rest of the gears. The dealer told me it was a bad throwout bearing. The car was still under warranty so they replaced it and the clutch at no cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts