Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theoretically, what would be simple ways to help diagnose the condition of a fairly new 5gen engine, less than 50K miles?

My first thoughts are do a compression test and read the spark plugs. Also would pulling the valve cover off and inspection rocker arms, valve clearances, etc. be helpful?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Uhh... yeah, why, you looking at buying a used one? Or have a used one?

At 50k miles I'de be sure all fluids are flushed and the cap/rotor/plugs are replaced. Fuel filter is supposed to be a "lifetime" piece, you shouldn't have to replace it for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying to be theoretical, but this is not working.

My question was more specifically related to my 2K base 5spd with 12,000 miles on it. Oil consumption is consistently 1qt/2000 miles. Just wanted to know if by looking at the plugs, doing a compression test, and looking at valve clearances..wear on rockers..etc., would this give me an idea of the overall condition of my engine? I'm questioning the condition because of 1)oil consumption, 2)oil is black after 2000 miles, and 3)slight loss of power - just not as strong as when new.. I thought it was supposed to get stronger after 10k or so.

I drive fairly hard.. my daily route is part freeway and part "hilly" canyon roads, and in stop and go traffic. Could my slight loss in power be simply from worn plugs and valves that need adjusting(not noisy though) only after 12k miles? I pulled one plug and it looked ok-not fouled at all, but a little burnt on the casing and white-ish on the electrode.

[This message has been edited by Kool-Lude (edited April 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kool-Lude:
I'm questioning the condition because of 1)oil consumption, 2)oil is black after 2000 miles, and 3)slight loss of power - just not as strong as when new.. I thought it was supposed to get stronger after 10k or so.
</font>

How long have you been driving the snot out of the car..? Did you put in synth oil as soon as you bought it (ie before you hit the first 5,000 miles)..? What was touched on the car..?

G

·
Do a compression and leak down test.

Also, try replacing your PCV and see if that helps your oil consumption problems.

If you really do have oil consumption problems, you should have an excessive amount of leak down.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
104 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Do a compression and leak down test.

Also, try replacing your PCV and see if that helps your oil consumption problems.

If you really do have oil consumption problems, you should have an excessive amount of leak down.

</font>
I don't see how the PCV check-valve would get messed up, since as a worst case it seizes shut and the crankcase gases don't get recirculated as much.

And a leak-down test would only show you if you have poorly-sealing piston rings since the test is done at TDC with both valves closed, therefore eliminating the valve guides from the equation.

Hey Kool-Lude, what have you done to your car modification-wise, and what have you tinkered with? There's got to be some small thing that most people would ignnore that can cause the problems. Tell us everything, and we can probably find the answer........

·
Registered
104 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kool-Lude:
I pulled one plug and it looked ok-not fouled at all, but a little burnt on the casing and white-ish on the electrode.</font>
Wait a second - what fuel are you using..? Sounds like the engine is running too hot (white tips). Cound be pre-ignition, a lean air-fuel mixture, or you're using plugs that are too hot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts