Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like every other day I'm finding new dings here and there. I'm figuring it's a bout time for a visit to the dent doctor. Anyone here tried to have dings and dimples removed from their doors, fenders, fender lips? I know they can use suction cups for the bigger ones, but can this work for the smaller ones?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Some of the places are hard to get to. I tried to take a door ding out myself and ended up making it look worse. That's why I'm going to the dent doctor this summer to get it taken out.

If you really wanna try, you can buy the "spoon" type body repair tools at J.C. Whitney. I'm sure you can get some of the dings out, but it's more work than it's worth, IMO.

One other thing, I have been to the Dent Doctor before. My '90 Legend had been smacked on the trunk with a golf ball. 3" wide, 1/2" deep dent. It took them most of the day, but they got it out and it only cost me about $100.

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited April 16, 2001).]

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
I too am going to try this soon. I need a ding and a quarter size dent removed. They are also respraying the front and rear bumpers...total cost $500. Similar work at a body shop was $1500!

Neel

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
has anyone tried the dry ice method? how did it work?</font>
Yup, didn't work at all for me. I also tried using a can of compressed air turned up-side-down (anyone who's played with one will know what I am talking about). No luck with either on any of my dings.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Yeah..i find new dings all the time.. especially when i wash the car..hm..had a bad dream last night too..someone tried to steal the car and crashed it into a pole.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
YES... DAM peoples

I just found this VERY VERY BAD one on my front fender from last night.. it was dark and I was very tired from overnight studying.. so i didn't find out till this morning
i'm so pissed off

------------------

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pkw1:
YES... DAM peoples

I just found this VERY VERY BAD one on my front fender from last night.. it was dark and I was very tired from overnight studying.. so i didn't find out till this morning
i'm so pissed off

</font>
If it's near the wheel well, and just a kind of depression, they can be pushed out fairly easily. I had a big one (like a baseball hit it) on my fender right at the edge of the wheelwell that I managed to push out with my hand. Of course, I screwed up the edge trying to straighten that, but at least it's the proper shape generally.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had 1 taken out of my fender...not by dent doctor but by someone at a body shop w/o using paint. It looks good.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Scriber:
I had 1 taken out of my fender...not by dent doctor but by someone at a body shop w/o using paint. It looks good.

What'd it cost you?

Thanks,

Mark

------------------
1997 Base Prelude (euc green)

Mods:

None.... Can't seem to stay out of trouble as it is......

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had one in my passenger door... A company like dent doctor got it out and it looks great!!!!! he use a heavy duty roller on the inside of the door. I think that it was made out of rubber!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LUDED1:
I had one in my passenger door... A company like dent doctor got it out and it looks great!!!!! he use a heavy duty roller on the inside of the door. I think that it was made out of rubber!!! </font>

Like Pete said, taking out dings at home can be more trouble that it’s worth.

But for “soft� dings that are accessible, I’ve found great success using wheels off my skateboard and my rollerblades(they’re rotting away in my garage anyway..finally seeing some action after all these years J). I guess they’re the homemade versions of the rollers that your body guy used.

What I basically do is grab the middle of the wheel, basically the bearings, and roll back and forth over the dent(from inside the panel) as many times as possible. Cover your finger tips(I use my index and my thumb) with some tape or wear gloves cuz they start burning. You can feel it as the wheel goes over the dent. I alternate between the two wheels depending on where the dent is. For dents on the front fenders, for example, the wheels are perfect.

For harder to reach places, I’ve used wooden spoons(haha..sorry mom) wrapped in masking tape to “scoop� out dings here and there. I’ve messed up with metal tools(used too much force and created dimples protruding out, exacerbating the situaion), and I’ve found that using wood or urethane, as in the case of the wheels give you more allowance for using too much pressure or force.

Now I’m trying to figure out a way to create a device that can hold these wheels steady while you roll back and forth.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pkw1:
YES... DAM peoples

i'm so pissed off

</font>
First off it's DAMN , well just be happy someone didn't hit you and run. my little "Ding" is costing the insurance co. about $3500.00 and I'm out a car for 2-3 weeks

Also what body kit do you have on the front?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had all my dings removed....4 total for $120. He did a really nice job......next day I find a new one, I guess its something we have to love with, then the other week my friend ran over a lisence plate and was in front of me.....needless to say that's $350 worth of damage I have to take care of this week.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaoslude98:
Originally posted by pkw1:
YES... DAM peoples

i'm so pissed off

</font>
First off it's DAMN , well just be happy someone didn't hit you and run. my little "Ding" is costing the insurance co. about $3500.00 and I'm out a car for 2-3 weeks

Also what body kit do you have on the front?

I had that lower front spoiler custom made

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.