Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer called today to tell me that they would give me $14,500 for my '99 SH with 34k miles, and they don't know about the accident. They have 2 '98's on the lot right now and they're asking $19,995 for both. One is a SS with 38k and the other one is a 5spd with 43k on it. So basically they want to make $5-6k on my car even though I'm going to get a S2000? I wasn't happy with this for sure.

Anyway, www.kbb.com says the street value on my car is close to $20k, if I put it back to stock but leave the OEM kit and tint on the car what's a good price to sell it for to make it move fast?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I think 18k would make it move plenty fast. I woulnd't go any lower than that though for sure!

------------------
95 Prelude VTEC

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
If you let them have your car for 14k then you might aswell drop your pants and bend over in front of them......

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my dealer three or four days ago told me if I wanted to lease a S2000 it would be at MSRP, but to finance it would be something like $2500 over sticker. I won't get into those details again but they told me their reason and it made sense. Now tonight my saleswoman calls me back and quotes me some prices that are WAY higher then I had figured. I asked her what was up with the numbers and she tells me the sales manager wont let any of them go for under $38k WTF!!!! Needless to say I'm not going to deal with them anymore after telling me that they could come in around $17k for my car and then turning that into $14,500 and now a $5k markup after I was told there wouldn't be one.

I'm so fed up with all this crap right now

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
Well my dealer three or four days ago told me if I wanted to lease a S2000 it would be at MSRP, but to finance it would be something like $2500 over sticker. I won't get into those details again but they told me their reason and it made sense. Now tonight my saleswoman calls me back and quotes me some prices that are WAY higher then I had figured. I asked her what was up with the numbers and she tells me the sales manager wont let any of them go for under $38k WTF!!!! Needless to say I'm not going to deal with them anymore after telling me that they could come in around $17k for my car and then turning that into $14,500 and now a $5k markup after I was told there wouldn't be one.

</font>
Bait and switch man... bait and switch.

Tell them 20k for the 'lude, sticker for the S2000.

They'll tell you know, and then you'll learn your lesson about trying to buy a car that's way too much in demand for what it is. =/

Sorry to break it to ya.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
u just gotta negotiate with them.. go to edmunds and read up on how to buy a new car. Very helpful.

Last time i bought my lude.. and traded my 97 accord i was at the dealership for 4-6 hours.. i went thru:

first hour - salesperson
next 2 hours - assistant manager
then when i threathened to leave the sales manager came to me and stopped me.

you can't let them have control.. you have to control the ball game.

"I came here to buy my car today. I want to finish the deal today. I want the keys in my hands and put money in your pocket.. let's get this done".. this will let them understand that your for real.

hope this helps a lil.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.bjunkyard.com" TARGET=_blank>

</A>

·
Registered
166 Posts
man that is crazy!!!

paying over sticker for an s2000
i can get one under and i know of a very sweet deal on a red s2000 with only 2000 km in it.

too bad you don't live in Canada bro. i could have hooked you up i think.

anyways, there is no way that an s2000 should be going for over sticker in CAN or US the demand is not that high anymore.

good luck

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
dude, the economy is not so great right now, therefore everyone's sales numbers are down...they should be more than willing to deal lower than sticker for the s2000...i've seen 4-5 honda dealerships near me all with S2000s sitting on the lot and they're only charging about 31-32k.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts

</font>
I think the first mistake you made was going in there to the daeler and talking right away about how you were either going to finance or lease... You should always approach getting a new car as though you were going to pay cash. Go and arrange your financing ahead of time -even if you plan on leasing. Third party leases will usually be cheaper than the dealer any way, unless it is a factory backed lease - Which Honda has never done on S2000s or Preludes...

There is absolutely no way that financing should yield a different purchase price than a lease purchase price. The dealer is just playing games with you. You would not have that problem if you had negotiated a purchase price first - then you examine your lease/finance options...

Dealers don't give jack for trade in. Sell the car yourself. You will get a lot more money back. Dealer trade in offers for my pristine 1993 VTEC with 68000mi ranged from $5900 to $7800. The highest, $7800, was from a dealer that wanted my car because they already had a definite buyer lined up for it. I sold that car myself for $10,000 2 days after I posted a free autotrader.com internet ad for it. I must have gotten 25 people calling me about it...

Andrew

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklucsarits:

There is absolutely no way that financing should yield a different purchase price than a lease purchase price. The dealer is just playing games with you. You would not have that problem if you had negotiated a purchase price first - then you examine your lease/finance options...
Andrew
</font>
Well here was there point on this and I've heard it before from them. They have a deal with Honda to get more cars then their allotment, in order to do this they have to agree to ONLY lease the cars they get. In order for them to have cars on the lot to actually sell they have to go to other dealerships and actually buy them so they can re-sell them. I can see that, and at the time I was in the showroom last they wanted $2500 extra for the one to finance but it had the front lip and rear spoiler...so that mark up wasn't outrageous to me. I'm going to call a few more dealers but it's tough to start working a deal when I'm not sure how long it'll be before my cars back and I can sell it.

I wish I knew if there were going to be any '02 models released of either the S2000 or the Lude.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts

I wish I knew if there were going to be any '02 models released of either the S2000 or the Lude.
</font>
There won't be any 2002 Preludes. The Saitama Plant where all 4th and 5th gen Preludes used to be built is now producing RSX/Integras full time. There is no longer a production facility for Preludes. You cannot special order a 2001 Prelude either, since production has already ceased. Any cars available this MY have already been built...

I still call BS on the dealer over the financing surcharge they are claiming. That makes no sense. That may very well be true about Honda alotting some for lease-only. But why would they want customers to "save" the $2500 by leasing when they could charge full price? They are making that money back up in the lease somewhere with a higher risidual value or something...

Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts