Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the DC CC Header once installed on my old lude a 98, I could feel a little mid range gain! But the clamp on the header itself, sort of up behind the oil pan, would always crack! DYI01 has a SS and his has done the same thing, and I know of at least two other peeps that have the same problem. I have an 2001 Lude now and wanted the Spoon Header but could not find any thoughts or Dyno's or gains for it just being the top half of the header, not to mention the 500 some dollar price tag! I dont want to spend 900 for Mugen. Just order another DC? What ya'll think?? Peace!

------------------
IM- Smit962
'01' Satin Silver Metalic

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Smitdog:
Anybody with some thoughts?
</font>
Good thing you waited a whole 7 minuites for a reply. IMHO DC products are cheaply made and they have poor quality control. I'd wait until Greddy releases their header for the 5th gen if you don't want to pay for Mugen.

You were willing to spend $500 for the spoon primaries but not $400 more for the whole mugen setup?

Gabe

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mugen for 900 or 1000, for how many more HP's?? ALL I really want to see is Dyno's! Everyone says dont spend 600 for Spoon, or 1000 for Mugen for only say 5 more HP at the most? I am just undecided! Anyone with the Spoon or Mugen have thoughts about the differences??

------------------
IM- Smit962
'01' Satin Silver Metalic

[This message has been edited by Smitdog (edited April 01, 2001).]

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well I have the Mugen one so I can comment about it. As for how much HP I gained, I have no clue. I don't know of a dyno within 4 hours drving time so I've never dynoed my car.

The Mugen primaries are a little longer than the spoon ones so there should be a little more top end power. I don't think anyone here has the spoon header. 71dsp had it but never put it on cause he decided to go custom.

As for saying "_______ header gave me __ hp", I think you could be mislead by that. I'd rather have a header that had an increase through the powerband as opposed to one that gained 5 hp at a certain point but did not increase hp through the entire range.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
11,003 Posts
i say you send the stock header out for extrude honing...
speaking of which, i should do that too. LOL
and then i can sell my extremely ugly DC SS that doesn't look SS anymore.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hey Gabe? Where did u get your Mugen header from?</font>
I got mine from King cause James was/is having trouble with paypal and I had $600 worth of credit on my CC from stuff I never got. I wish I could have given James the business though. They ended up being 980ish shipped.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
i say you send the stock header out for extrude honing...
speaking of which, i should do that too. LOL
and then i can sell my extremely ugly DC SS that doesn't look SS anymore.
</font>
They don't extrude hone are headers. I asked about that a while back...apparently the pressure they put the media through the piece would blow it apart. You could send your DC out to have it JetHot coated or something similar though.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had my old DC CC on my old lude for over a year and it looked just the same as brand new just except a little color change! I think Jet Hot would be a good option after a long period!

[This message has been edited by Smitdog (edited April 01, 2001).]

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
Gabe, I actually have a friend who have modified the Gen4 Greddy header to his Gen5, the top half of the manifold fits perfectly, only the bottom piece needs to be modified as the length is different.
According to him, the gains are mostly felt on the mid to high end.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
Good thing you waited a whole 7 minuites for a reply. IMHO DC products are cheaply made and they have poor quality control. I'd wait until Greddy releases their header for the 5th gen if you don't want to pay for Mugen.

You were willing to spend $500 for the spoon primaries but not $400 more for the whole mugen setup?

Gabe
</font>

·
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
They don't extrude hone are headers. I asked about that a while back...apparently the pressure they put the media through the piece would blow it apart. You could send your DC out to have it JetHot coated or something similar though. </font>
thanks for doing the asking for me, mark.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
thanks for doing the asking for me, mark.
</font>
No problem
BTW if you've never seen JetHot coatings before they look very sweet and last forever...certainly something to consider since you already have a header.

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LVSBB6:
Gabe, I actually have a friend who have modified the Gen4 Greddy header to his Gen5, the top half of the manifold fits perfectly, only the bottom piece needs to be modified as the length is different.
</font>
Yep, I knew the 4th gen would fit on the 5th with some minor modifications but they are supposed to be releasing their header for the 5th gen soon.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the spoon header from Billy. I used to think that our primary manifold was good enough, but after I took it off of the car and compared it to the spoon piece there were some big differences. First of all, the stock manifold's bends and merges were very harsh and abrupt, while the spoon is definitely much more gentle and smooth. Even though, the stock manifold’s welds and bends looks good and clean on the outside, it looked totally different on the inside. The inside welding edge was very rough and there was a dramatic reduction in size of tubing space right after the flange (and it was even more cramped at the bends). The spoon piece was much smoother, and the space was much bigger and consistent all the way to the down pipe. The stock down pipe does not look nearly as restrictive as the stock primaries, and I guess that’s why spoon doesn’t make a down pipe for our application. I don’t understand it and that’s why I am still looking to have a custom down pipe made. The fit and finish of the spoon piece is perfect, although some people complain about the dull finish, my has a shiny golden appearance, much like my mugen exhaust. As far as performance is concerned I felt some pretty good gains around the mid rpm region, but I don’t have solid proof such as an before and after dyno. I wanted to get the mugen manifold originally, but I am definitely satisfied with the spoon header.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by doc2be:
I have the spoon header from Billy. I used to think that our primary manifold was good enough, but after I took it off of the car and compared it to the spoon piece there were some big differences. First of all, the stock manifold's bends and merges were very harsh and abrupt, while the spoon is definitely much more gentle and smooth. Even though, the stock manifold’s welds and bends looks good and clean on the outside, it looked totally different on the inside. The inside welding edge was very rough and there was a dramatic reduction in size of tubing space right after the flange (and it was even more cramped at the bends). The spoon piece was much smoother, and the space was much bigger and consistent all the way to the down pipe. The stock down pipe does not look nearly as restrictive as the stock primaries, and I guess that’s why spoon doesn’t make a down pipe for our application. I don’t understand it and that’s why I am still looking to have a custom down pipe made. The fit and finish of the spoon piece is perfect, although some people complain about the dull finish, my has a shiny golden appearance, much like my mugen exhaust. As far as performance is concerned I felt some pretty good gains around the mid rpm region, but I don’t have solid proof such as an before and after dyno. I wanted to get the mugen manifold originally, but I am definitely satisfied with the spoon header.</font>
DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're the one that beat me to that Spoon header by a matter of HOURS!!!!!

j/p

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry, but I just read an earlier post about how the spoon headers are more prone to cracking so you are probably better off getting something else.
Hey, instead you should probably thank me for doing you a favor and saving you a few hundred bucks.

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by doc2be:
Sorry, but I just read an earlier post about how the spoon headers are more prone to cracking so you are probably better off getting something else.
Hey, instead you should probably thank me for doing you a favor and saving you a few hundred bucks.
</font>
If you use all of the stock mounts, you should probably be okay.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
0 Posts
Mugen for 900 or 1000, for how many more HP's?? ALL I really want to see is Dyno's! Everyone says dont spend 600 for Spoon, or 1000 for Mugen for only say 5 more HP at the most? I am just undecided! Anyone with the Spoon or Mugen have thoughts about the differences??
</font>
Geez, that's the problem I see with a lot of import people; all they care about are dynos and peak hp numbers.

Let me ask you a question; which header would you buy;

Header A: gains 30 peak hp, but loses 5 hp everywhere else.

Header B: loses 5 peak hp, but gains 10 hp everywhere else.

Also, when you say that people claim to get only 5 hp out of the Spoon or Mugen, is that 5 more peak hp, or a maximum gain of 5 hp?

It's not about peak numbers, or maximum gain, it's about the area under the curve. Peak hp numbers don't get you down the track, the area under the curve does.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 20 of 33 Posts