Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought stainless steel wasn't supposed to rust...that's why I bought it! Is this normal? Should I expect some rusting? Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
195 Posts
no, good stainless steel should not rust.

were is it rusting at?... some weld's/ flange's will rust cause of the quality of the material used.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
149 Posts
i am not sure about the exhaust, but the flanges on the DC SS headers do rust cuz its made of mild steel......but I will not be surprised if the same material is used on the flanges on the exhausts system though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, alrighty then. That makes sense. That's exactly where it's rusting...on the flanges of my header & the flanges on the exhaust. Does the warranty cover rusting, considering that it is "stainless steel" or is that normal?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
how many miles have you had your header on your car?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had my header & exhaust installed at the same time...it was back in November, I'd say about 5,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
damn, I hope my dc ceramic header doesnt rust anytime soon... its welded to the cat converter.......... replacing it will be a *****

[This message has been edited by deceptakon (edited April 12, 2001).]

·
Registered
838 Posts
I don't understand why DC creating a SS Header and their Flanges made out of Mild Steel. Believe me, I've seen the rust on the flanges. Not a very good sight.. Therefore, I'm going with Mugen Header.

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
just about all metal rusts. stainless is far less likely to than other uncoated steels, but in a lot of circumstances it will still rust badly. hopefully the "stainless steel" parts you guys are talking about are chromed... there is a reason why cars don't come from the factory with exposed stainless steel, and it's not just cost!

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
just about all metal rusts. stainless is far less likely to than other uncoated steels, but in a lot of circumstances it will still rust badly. hopefully the "stainless steel" parts you guys are talking about are chromed... there is a reason why cars don't come from the factory with exposed stainless steel, and it's not just cost!</font>
As far as I know stainless steel does not rust, it pits. You will not see any visible oxidation, like with mild steel, but over time it may develop small pits in the surface. This happens in very harsh conditions and takes quite a long time (depending on the SS composition).

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
I have the Tanabe DTM and it is ss, the muffler anyway. It is definitely rusting. I went out and bought some sandpaper so that I can get the rust off. To their credit though, the rusting is minor and I've had it for over 2 years.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by anubyss:
I have the Tanabe DTM and it is ss, the muffler anyway. It is definitely rusting. I went out and bought some sandpaper so that I can get the rust off. To their credit though, the rusting is minor and I've had it for over 2 years.</font>
I know this guy with a Thermal R&D and the entire thing is SS so it'll never rust

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by anubyss:
lol</font>
Where did Paramus Honda send you for the alignment? Next time I get tires I'll need to do that and wouldn't mind going someplace that knows what to do for a lowered car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts