Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm hoping some of you might be able to help. I've got a 94 VTEC w/ 230K+ miles. For the most part the car has sat idle for years with the exception of an occasional drive around the block of back and forth out of the garage. The battery has died and been replaced multiple times during this time. Over the past year the dashboard gauges (not the speedo cluster, but the temp, fuel, alert indicators, clock, etc., to the right) no longer work. At first, it was just the temp and fuel displaying erratically, now, it barely lights up at all and on most starts it's completely dark. As of today, I noticed the speedo cluster also went dark (except for the needles) only to come on after a few seconds after starting the car.

So, what should be my trouble shoot process? Or does the entire dash cluster need to be replaced?

BTW, the search feature on this site isn't working for me....regardless of what my search terms are, I only get "no results". Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My first guess would be there is a grounding problem somewhere, possibly in the dash.Since the problems are intermittent and/or progressively getting worse. Might check for that first.Also check if battery poles are hooked up firmly.
Keep us posted about your findings.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, I'm hoping some of you might be able to help. I've got a 94 VTEC w/ 230K+ miles. For the most part the car has sat idle for years with the exception of an occasional drive around the block of back and forth out of the garage. The battery has died and been replaced multiple times during this time. Over the past year the dashboard gauges (not the speedo cluster, but the temp, fuel, alert indicators, clock, etc., to the right) no longer work. At first, it was just the temp and fuel displaying erratically, now, it barely lights up at all and on most starts it's completely dark. As of today, I noticed the speedo cluster also went dark (except for the needles) only to come on after a few seconds after starting the car.

So, what should be my trouble shoot process? Or does the entire dash cluster need to be replaced?

BTW, the search feature on this site isn't working for me....regardless of what my search terms are, I only get "no results". Thanks in advance!!
Redleader,

I know the gas/temp gauges can go bad after some time. There's plenty of threads on that if you google it. Now, if I remember correctly, though, there an illumination controller behind the clear plastic cover of the gauges, kind of below the clock. I want to say the part number is 35150-SF1-003, item 1 on the pic posted. I remember frying out mine doing something on my 'Lude and the panel wouldn't light up. It ended up being that sucker. It might be a discontinued part, but I'm sure a trip to a junkyard will help and save you money as well. Wouldn't hurt to check on that as well. Hope that helps. Good luck!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I didnt' follow up or look into my issue further, as I seldom if ever drive the car.....it has so many problems that I'm hestitant to drive it anywhere other than around the block. Well, especially if guages aren't working, I dont' want to drive it. Anyway, it continues to be intermitent, and it's not just that sometimes it doesn't light up, it's that it lights up erratically, some times some of the parts of the guage light up and other times not. Anyway, I'l check the battery poles first. Iknow that the positve claimp is always loose (although it won't pop off or anything, it's just that the bolt is not tightened).
Next I'll check the controller as cejaslocas suggested....of course, learning howo to take apart the dash lens is going to be another issue.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts