Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you cut the shifter while using a Momo knob does the knob come to far down and hit the bend in th levor? i was going to just cut off teh threads since momo doesnt need them. Anyone know?

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
I don't know about other Momo knobs, but the one I used to use (the Air Race Leather, almost looks like a golf ball) sat very low on the shifter. Because the opening is much wider than the shifter, and the knob is hollow, my shifter actually went inside the knob rather than it sitting on top. The result was that it looked and felt like I had already shortened the shifter.

Hope that made sense. Anyway, if you have the knob in hand, just put it on to see how much lower it is than stock already. If it is too high, just measure how much lower you want it (from the bottom of the knob) and take that much off the top.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the Momo shift knob type that kinda' looks like a cobra head or, as some have noted, a phallus:eek:. It has a long shaft below the knob and because of that I was only able to cut off about 1/2" to keep the bend from interfering. That left some of the threads intact, enought to re-install the stock knob if I ever want to.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
You can cut down to the end of the threads without any problems with a Momo knob. The problem is the little trim ring in the bottom that screws on to cover the hex screws. I went about 1/4" below the last threads and I had to spend a lot of time sanding down the trim ring so it would fit on flushly. As long as you stay just above the bottom of the threads, you'll be fine.

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
I want to cut mine down, but I'm not sure if my Razo knob will still work since it almost hits the bend right now. Anyone had any luck with any other knobs besides the ones that use allen bolts to secure them?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Without the hex nut system, you'll have a problem if it's already near the bend in the lever. My only suggestion would be to sand down the bottom of the knob so you can take it down further.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
i have a MOMO knob and i cut down my shift lever...i cut the threads off and it comes down to right before the bend...thats with the screw on end piece

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just did mine. Man was it ever a ***** to thread it. Took the threads within an 1/8 or an inch from the bend. An cut off 1 inch of the lever. The but my Skunk2 shift knob has alot better bite on the lever, about 1/2 more thread is inside the knob now. So even though I only cut 1 inch off, my shift knob sits about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches lower. Changed my shift boot while I was at it. Red Stitched Civic Type R boot :) Very happy with it, looks great. Anyway, I am very pleased with the results, and for anyone looking for a real short shifter, should look no further. Cut it down, its fairly easy, and its worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts