Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you know who does these? Cause hell I know people who got their complete turbo kit for like 1800 cuase it was all custom piping.. any help would be appreciated.. thanx.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
you can buy individual pieces from existing kits.

The manifold i would say is the most custom piece and also the hardest piece to custom. You can either pick a drag manifold or an fmax manifold or a revhard manifold or a kiwi manifold, or find someone that can make one for you.

as for the rest, you will probably ahve to find a shop near by that knows how to make mandrel bent piping for the ic pipes and downpipe. Since you're in Florida, i bet tehre are a few shops that can do it for you. SFP comes to mind.

Everything else is of preference, fuel management, intercooler size, which turbo to go with.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Holy Crap. This is my second time writing this, because of this stupic browser.

Anyway, I'm tired about people asking about custom kits, so I'll try to make a list of what's needed. Seriously though, if you don't know that much about honda turbos and don't want to spend tons of money and time trying to figure this stuff and get a setup that works nicely, just take it to a local shop that is recommended to do it for you.

Places to buy the stuff
Road Race Engineering (RRE) has alot of the stuff you need for a custom setup. http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hackertweekerparts.htm
I used to buy from http://www.turbocharged.com They carry pretty much the same stuff. I list other places for stuff in the message.

Intercooler/IC piping/ Header and Downpipe
The easiest thing to do is get this stuff from a kit. Someone let me know, but I don't think you can get incomplete kits from Drag. I know you can call up F-Max and ask for specific parts that you want.

Custom Intercooler
Measure the dimensions that you want your intercooler to be and figure out what end tanks you want. Call up RRE and get it made for you. Knowing what end tanks you want means you need to know the path and size of IC piping your using. This means a test setup first. The custom IC will not have mounting tabs. you need to get them put on or figure another way to mount it. You may choose to do an air-water intercooler. This will greatly reduce the IC piping needed. You would have to move the battery to the trunk for a clean install. air-water has advantages and disadvantages over the air-air IC's, which is out of scope here.

Custom IC Piping
After you figure out the path and size of your IC piping, you'll need to order the piping and bends. You can get them from RRE or JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14721&BQ=jcw2 You'll need hose couplers and clamps to put it together. It's kind of ghetto, but if you don't want to weld right away, you can put together all of your piping using couplers. If you're pushing 15+ psi I would recommend the thick silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps. Also bead all of your pipe ends so that the couplers have something to grab onto.

Custom Header and Downpipe
If you haven't gone with the kit stuff (F-Max or Drag) You can go for the Kiwi or Rev Hard street manifold. Remember that neither of these have wastegate flanges and a custom downpipe will probably need to be made. For a serious power car, I would get the Rev Hard equal length Race Header, but you'll need to ditch the AC. For a custom header, you better have an exhaust shop that knows what it's doing. A custom 3" downpipe is also pretty tricky. We don't have much room for one. You can get the turbo inlet, exhaust flanges, and the wastegate flanges from RRE.

Turbo
Up to you based on the power you want, the spool up time you are willing to comprimise with, and how much you want to spend.

Wastegate
Unless you go crazy and get the HKS, get the Tial. The 35mm will do fine on most setups. If you're a bonky power hungry, the 40mm. Remember it has a different flange and it's physical size is different. The Drag and F-Max headers are made to fit the 35mm which share the same flange specs as the turbonetics deltagate. I wouldn't get the 40mm unless I was running the Kiwi or Rev-Hard Race header. http://www.roadraceengineering.com/tial.htm

Blow Off Valve
You can get pretty much anyone you want. Remember that different BOVs use different flanges. If you got kit piping without a BOV, you'll have to get a BOV that fits the flange you have or reweld a new flange. Go to the honda-tech forced induction forum and read many of the "which BOV sounds best" threads for some ideas.

Oil Send and Return Line
For a nice all stainless steel setup, you'll need this to attach to your turbo for the oil return line:
You can get it from RRE, listed as "Garrett Oil Drain Flange with 5/8" hose fitting". All the rest of the hosing and fittings you can get from www.anplumbing.com or www.bakerprecision.com I'm not going to list all the individual pieces you need.

Vacuum Hose
You should get 10' of 4mm silicon line and 10' of 6mm silicon line. www.bakerprecision.com or RRE.

Fuel/Spark
This is strictly personal opinion. An FMU is fine for a JRSC, but you got the turbo so that you could be more flexible and have more potential. A standalone is essential. For a nice daily driver, a Hondata 2b with whatever options. For a more serious weekend racer that you want to be able to tweak and tune yourself, FAST/Haltech/Autronic or if you have the money even Motec (and I don't mean the exhaust) 700cc-800cc injectors. RC Engineering or DSM injectors, low impedence peak and hold. I have 550's right now and I'll probably be upgrading.

There's little things I'm leaving out. Vacuum T's, gaskets, air filter, stuff like that, but you get the idea. I'm really tired right now, so excuse any mistakes.

You can price all this stuff yourself by going to the websites listed.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
To really answer the first question. The only shop I know with experience in the US is Atomic Performance. The same one that did 98ludes' setup. Actually I do know of one in Florida that someone said was good. I remember they had a cool flash site, too. I have to find it again. Give me a day. I know you're not getting the setup for $1800.00, unless you're doing it yourself with used parts.

·
Registered
244 Posts
turbo work??

whats up guys, who in the Chicago land area, can do good turbo work on my 5th gen lude..Im getting ready to take the engine out and get it resleeved and get the new pistons and rods, and all that good stuff... Let me know if u know of anyone good, I live right by chicago in Michigan City IN, 25 minutes away.. thanks:bigthumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts