Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just finished installing crower stage 2 cams on my 2k1 a few hours ago. I'm going to wait a few hundred miles before I really get on it, but I blipped VTEC a few times and wow :eek: !!! It hits twice as hard and quite a bit louder, I love it! Can't wait to pack on a few more miles. Anyways, I did the install myself and readjusted the valves back to spec, but I did notice the valves are louder than before, is this supposed to be? There is no way to adjust the VTEC lobe rocker, correct? I will wait 500 miles or so and recheck the valves again, but I am just wondering if anybody else with cams noticed considerable more valve noice. It's not too loud, but definately noticable.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
let us know how she is when the break-in is done

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Coolio, let us know how it goes. I might get myself some crower cams as well in the future if I keep my car.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
ImpulseLude said:
Well, I just finished installing crower stage 2 cams on my 2k1 a few hours ago. I'm going to wait a few hundred miles before I really get on it, but I blipped VTEC a few times and wow :eek: !!! It hits twice as hard and quite a bit louder, I love it! Can't wait to pack on a few more miles. Anyways, I did the install myself and readjusted the valves back to spec, but I did notice the valves are louder than before, is this supposed to be? There is no way to adjust the VTEC lobe rocker, correct? I will wait 500 miles or so and recheck the valves again, but I am just wondering if anybody else with cams noticed considerable more valve noice. It's not too loud, but definately noticable.
I got a few questions:
Did you get the stock idle lobes or the non stock idle lobes?
Did you install cam gears as well?
Did you get the springs and retainers for them as well?

Do you have 5spd or auto?

why didnt you let the shop do it?

how much and where from?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Crower Stage 2 :) !!!!

SK Honda 7 said:

I got a few questions:
Did you get the stock idle lobes or the non stock idle lobes?
Did you install cam gears as well?
Did you get the springs and retainers for them as well?

Do you have 5spd or auto?

why didnt you let the shop do it?

how much and where from?
Ok, first of all I got the stock idle lobes for a little extra reliability,
I didn't get any gears yet, but plan to pretty soon in the future along with a VAFC to get tuned. I left the stock springs and retainers alone, due to the overwhelming cash and time it would take to take the entire head off. I just didn't feel this was totally necessary. The only real danger is if you miss a shift, which in case you would probably blow your motor anyways. My car is a 5-speed. And last but not least, I decided to save a few bills and go ahead and do it myself. I've done cams in a few other cars, just not on a honda until now. Which for the record I didn't find terribly dificult. DOHC rocks. And I hate letting other people touch my car:D

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Crower Stage 2 :) !!!!

ImpulseLude said:

Ok, first of all I got the stock idle lobes for a little extra reliability,
I didn't get any gears yet, but plan to pretty soon in the future along with a VAFC to get tuned. I left the stock springs and retainers alone, due to the overwhelming cash and time it would take to take the entire head off. I just didn't feel this was totally necessary. The only real danger is if you miss a shift, which in case you would probably blow your motor anyways. My car is a 5-speed. And last but not least, I decided to save a few bills and go ahead and do it myself. I've done cams in a few other cars, just not on a honda until now. Which for the record I didn't find terribly dificult. DOHC rocks. And I hate letting other people touch my car:D
Its good that you are brave enough to do the install yourself. I did all the work on the car myself with a help from friends here and there.

Do you think its doable to do this type of thing on your own with just regular tool kit?

CROWER states that you need to use mineral oil to break in the cams, did you follow their instructions or did you use other oil type?
How much were the cams?
how bad is the valve sound on the car?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Crower Stage 2 :) !!!!

SK Honda 7 said:

Its good that you are brave enough to do the install yourself. I did all the work on the car myself with a help from friends here and there.

Do you think its doable to do this type of thing on your own with just regular tool kit?

CROWER states that you need to use mineral oil to break in the cams, did you follow their instructions or did you use other oil type?
How much were the cams?
how bad is the valve sound on the car?
I used pretty basic tools to get the job done. As long as you take your time and be careful with what you do, it's not difficult at all. I figure if you can comfortably do just the cam gears, the rest is easy. It's a little tedious adjusting all those valves, but not too dificult, and you really don't need that honda tool to do it. I also didn't pay attention to the mineral oil thing. If I would have gotten the full cams with retainers and springs I would have, but just throwing a set of bare cams in, I strongly doubt it would make any difference at all. This is definately controversial.

As far as the valve sound, like I said before I don't think it's THAT loud, but noticably louder than stock.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crower Stage 2 :) !!!!

ImpulseLude said:
As far as the valve sound, like I said before I don't think it's THAT loud, but noticably louder than stock.
do you think it has something to do with springs and their compression ratio?

Any possibility you might be experiencing valve flow...or over compression of the spring?

sorry to bug you with details...but i'm considering doing the same thing to my car and just wanna get all the facts down right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crower Stage 2 :) !!!!

SK Honda 7 said:

do you think it has something to do with springs and their compression ratio?

Any possibility you might be experiencing valve flow...or over compression of the spring?

sorry to bug you with details...but i'm considering doing the same thing to my car and just wanna get all the facts down right.
No problem, ask all the questions you want.

I'm sure I don't have any valve float at all. It's definately valve ticking. Also, I got the stage 2's with stock idle lobes, so if it were over compressing the spring, it would only do it in vtec. Let me know if you decide to do it your self!

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crower Stage 2 :) !!!!

ImpulseLude said:

No problem, ask all the questions you want.

I'm sure I don't have any valve float at all. It's definately valve ticking. Also, I got the stage 2's with stock idle lobes, so if it were over compressing the spring, it would only do it in vtec. Let me know if you decide to do it your self!
i defently would like to do it myself. but i just dont know how to adjust valves and so forth. I can take anything apart and put it back together ... i just dont fully think i can do this. Since i dont have a torque wrench and things to measure valves with.

plus i'm still trying to locate a place to get the cams really cheap and cam gears as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crower Stage 2 :) !!!!

SK Honda 7 said:

i defently would like to do it myself. but i just dont know how to adjust valves and so forth. I can take anything apart and put it back together ... i just dont fully think i can do this. Since i dont have a torque wrench and things to measure valves with.

plus i'm still trying to locate a place to get the cams really cheap and cam gears as well.
If you're really not comfortable with it don't get in over your head. I will say though that you really don't need the honda valve tool, and you can adjust them a hundred times until you know they are right. All you need is a set of feeler gauges ($5.99 at autozone) I would suggest getting a decent torque wrench however. Like I said, not difficult at all just rather tedious. Let me know what you decide.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
something like this i would let my local shop do...only cuz they know these things....but thats just me and because i dont have anyone to help me with that sort of stuff

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
MugenPoweredLude said:
something like this i would let my local shop do...only cuz they know these things....but thats just me and because i dont have anyone to help me with that sort of stuff
i'm leaning more towards the shop doing this. I will ask my friend to help me out... he is pretty good with things like that. But i will see what will come out of this. I know i wouldnt mind saving 300+ for some other things on the car.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
If you're not confident enough to do a valve adjustment don't attempt to do a camshaft install. All you'd need for the install is basic hand tools. But if you are this is just one step further but very straight forward w/o the valve springs.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
do you think the stock Fuel system will be sufficient enough to provide the neccecesy fuel. or do you think i might need a fuel pressure riser

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SK Honda 7 said:
do you think the stock Fuel system will be sufficient enough to provide the neccecesy fuel. or do you think i might need a fuel pressure riser
It takes alot of power and air to out do the factory fuel system, unless you have FI. One thing advisable to do is a fuel pressure regulator, however. Some people may say fuel rail too, but I think that may be a little overkill.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
TimeRacer said:
The fuel rail is good to 250-300 whp. V-AFC or FPR alone is fine for the fuel needs.
so should i wai until i get a/f guage to see how i am running, or should i get one anyway?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts