Honda Prelude Online banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
if your crank was bent ur motor would be screwd trust me lol and if u say u got a new pully but still wobles u might have some problems and i think the clicking noise is because ur cranke wobles it is ment to be perfectly balanced otherwise all heck breaks lose lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK so the thread on the bolt may be ****ed from whoever worked on it before overtightning the bolt?
:confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can pull the crank out without rremiving the pistons or the head. Get it out and take it to a machine shop for inspection. They can do whatever it needs. They can balance it or have it balanced. You can put in new rod and main bearings, reassemble when repaired and pop it back in the car. Two guys with the right tools and some knowledge = one day work. So one half day to pull it and get the crank out, one half day to put back together and see how it runs. The crank can also be polished and set up to run oversize bearings too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just had this same situation happen to me, and my buddy that replaced my pulley said I need to have my crankshaft balanced. Does anyone know of a good shop in the socal area that will do this at a good price?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
^Your buddy doesn't know wtf he's talking about, if you're having vibration still from the crank you either spun a main bearing or the thrust washers are bad making the crank walk back and forth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
^Your buddy doesn't know wtf he's talking about, if you're having vibration still from the crank you either spun a main bearing or the thrust washers are bad making the crank walk back and forth.
So I'm assuming that I would need to replace those either way if they are bad, so would you recommend getting the crack balance since it would be out anyway?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same slight Crank Pulley woble, but at a slight acceleration it straightens out. And this is just by me looking at it.. I can feel a vibration and can see the pulley dance a little not much.. I figured this was just basic wear after the T belt jobs since the car still runs strong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the up but I have some infos for you.

I'm in contact with 3 peoples (in France) that have this ****ing pulley problem, you can fix it with a new pulley and a new key but do it soon if you don't want to damage the place on the crank where the key is supposed to go. I've seen a pulley where that place were 2 times bigger than a brand new pulley.

I'll change mine this weekend, I'll let you know if it can held someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
crankshaft pulley

hey guys. i got a 01 prelude. Pulley is wobbly. i took apart the belts and it seems like the bigger outer ring is completely detached but from videos and online research it looks like it originally comes in one piece. not sure if i should replace the whole thing or if I'm suppose to get some kinda rubber to put between the pieces so they flush. What would you guys suggest?!?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i had my crank pulley come lose and i got lucky not to damage anything key bolt belts and pulley all good still. So now im facing trying to get it tighten to 180 spec and bought the honda tool now my issue is that the frame is in the way to use this honda tool which is a bummer since i was ready to torque it up yesterday. I've seen people jimmy up the pulleys with different type of methods. Any method recommended that work?? Seems like i would have to drop the drive side engine to fit the honda tool. I can have picture if needed. Any help on how to solve this problem wold be greatly appreciated. 1999 honda Prelude SH

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think you have it with dropping that side of the engine. It's been forever since I did my timing belt, but I seem to recall that was required. Interestingly the manual doesn't seem to mention it, but looking back at my notes it is required.

Good luck with it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts