Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just noticed today that my crankshaft pulley wobbles when idling. However the pulley stops wobbling when the engine is revved. First question, the harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley are the same thing right? Also would this mean i have a bent crankshaft? While the idea of getting a new engine with less miles is lovely, i do not have the money. I hope this is just an easy cheep fix.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Do not, repeat DO NOT, drive the car with a loose crank pulley. If it comes off, it will take your timing belt with it, then you can say good-bye to your engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My crankshaft pulley wobbles as well, I tried a new crank pulley and nothing changed. I was told you can have the crank built up and ground back down or by a new crank. I have read that quite a few people have had this problem. It is supposedly caused from over-tightening the crank pulley bolt. I have run my car for over 15,000 with it like that and who knows how long it was run by the PO like that.

Make sure your bolt is tight though like indy said.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to importrcr00, does your loose pulley make a good amount of noise. We discovered the loose pulley while trying to figure out why my engine is so noisy, also does it cause your belt to chirp after it has been sitting off for awhile. My dad who used to be a mechanic says he thinks the pulley is just bent.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do not, repeat DO NOT, drive the car with a loose crank pulley. If it comes off, it will take your timing belt with it, then you can say good-bye to your engine.
Thanks for your input but it seems to only be bent not loose, i am pretty sure it has been this way for a while.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
As someone who's suffered a loose bolt (that resulted in damaging the crankshaft snout but somehow manager to avoid losing the t-belt) I recommend you at least re-torque the bolt to proper spec. As I already stated, the danger is real and you could damage the crankshaft (which will most certainly require removing it from the block) and/or damage to the head due to slipped t-belt as well.

For me I didn't realize the crank pulley was loose until the damage was done. But for about a day before I clued in I heard a loud tapping sound which increased with RPMs. It was the crank pulley slapping against the timing belt cover. Eventually it fell off, but luckily the key didn't come out with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picking up a new crank pulley tomorrow. I also seem to hear a tapping but this will go away after about 2500 rpm, also could this be causing my belt to chirp after the car has sat for awhile and started.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have the same issue . took it to dealers , they changed the belt ,pulley , and it didnt work , but the mechanic advised hes tightened the bolts and put new ones and it shouldnt cause any major concerns.

i am not very mechanical , so in a short version the harmonic balancer is wobbly or something ... and the cost to fix it all up = ridiculous .

u are not the only one so dont stress and just tighten tht thing up

cheers

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on putting the new pulley on tomorrow. I will let you guys know what comes of it, hoping for the best this will fix both the sound my engine makes and the chirping belts.

·
There's only one....
2,973 Posts
If it comes off, it will take your timing belt with it, then you can say good-bye to your engine.
the timing belt and the belts on the crankshaft pulley are on separate pullies.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
^Technically, yes. In reality though, since they are held onto the crankshaft by the same bolt, if that bolt comes loose or breaks then the crank pulley, balancer belt drive pulley, and timing belt drive pulley can all fall off.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I always thought the timing belt pulley was behind the timing belt cover and you'd need to remove the cover to remove the tbelt pulley. I do know that along the crankshaft snout there is a key that is used to keep all the pulleys in time. That key broke when my crank bolt came loose, and that can cause tbelt problems. Lucky for me the key broke close to the outside edge so my tbelt and balancer pulleys stayed in time even though my crank pulley fell off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I always thought the timing belt pulley was behind the timing belt cover and you'd need to remove the cover to remove the tbelt pulley. I do know that along the crankshaft snout there is a key that is used to keep all the pulleys in time. That key broke when my crank bolt came loose, and that can cause tbelt problems. Lucky for me the key broke close to the outside edge so my tbelt and balancer pulleys stayed in time even though my crank pulley fell off.
ouch that sux, but yeah the lower timing belt cover SHOULD in theory hold the pulley in place, however there is the possibility of the tbelt cover breaking/coming off then you'll have problems, the crank pulley sits in the cover a little bit, so i'm thinking the balance pulley and tbelt pulley would have about a few cm's of room to move along the crankshaft if the crank pulley comes off

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the same problem on my car. After running it hard, I heard a knock coming from the engine turned out to be the crank pulley wobbling. Drove it to a friends shop and the engine died on the way turned out that the key broke and the crank was turning but the cams weren't. Tried to take the crank bolt off and it broke. Tried to drill the bolt, went a little crooked(Messed up threads). Now I think I messed up the crank for good. Need to try a helicoil see if it'll work. If it don't work I might just part the motor out. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my problem was a bent crankshaft:(. O well I will probily get some money together to buy a beater (around $1000 civic bubble hopefully) and then work on a high proformance rebuild for the h22:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok well i have done a lot of research and came up with nothing, my question is how would the crankshaft get bent in the first place, also what will this lead to, will it lead to a decrease in performance or damage the engine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
new pulley did not help anything and the key did not appear damaged, unless you know of anything else?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts