Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how to get the crankshaft pulley bolt off without the special Honda tool (that holds the pulley) and the engine on a stand?

Is the only way to do it with an airtool?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When I did mine twice now the airgun would not take the bolt off and we did not have the honda tool. We just jamed the flywheel and used a huge breaker bar and lots of strength and it came loose.

-Jeff-

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SlvLude said:
When I did mine twice now the airgun would not take the bolt off and we did not have the honda tool. We just jamed the flywheel and used a huge breaker bar and lots of strength and it came loose.

-Jeff-
Damn! how big of a breaker and what did you use to jam the fly wheel?

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
We used to just have someone stand on the brakes in 5th gear and use a 3 1/2 foot Snap On breaker bar to break torque on the crank pulley bolt.

However, the last 5Gen I worked on, there was enough flex in the engine mounts that we could NOT get enough torque on the crank pulley even with the breaker bar. I went back home, picked up my Honda tool for the crank pulley, and it came RIGHT off.

So, chances are, you might be able to get it off, but if it's anything like this last 5Gen I worked on, you're going to need the special tool, or lock up the flywheel (be careful not to damage the teeth).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
71dsp said:
We used to just have someone stand on the brakes in 5th gear and use a 3 1/2 foot Snap On breaker bar to break torque on the crank pulley bolt.

However, the last 5Gen I worked on, there was enough flex in the engine mounts that we could NOT get enough torque on the crank pulley even with the breaker bar. I went back home, picked up my Honda tool for the crank pulley, and it came RIGHT off.

So, chances are, you might be able to get it off, but if it's anything like this last 5Gen I worked on, you're going to need the special tool, or lock up the flywheel (be careful not to damage the teeth).
Thanks for all the help...
3 people, 2 screwdrivers, a breaker bar plus a 3 foot long extension thanks to a 3ton jack, did the trick.
After I got my other friend to help out, with the other screw driver it come off in seconds.
Damage the flywheel, eh who cares?... new CM flywheel and Stage3 clutch are on its way!!!!!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Please remember to bolt the crank pulley back to Honda specs. Overtightening or undertightening has a DRAMATIC effect on your cars reliablity. I should know, my car is in the shop for repairs because someone didn't torque it right. Now I have to replace my entire crank and rods, etc. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honda specs, most def... 181 lb-ft of torque.

So was yours under or over tightened?
And how did that mess up your crank and rods?

and thinking about removal of the flywheel, taking it off was easy cuz I didn't care,
but I have to be careful when installing the CM Flywheel, maybe I won't be using that screwdriver after all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
From what I have 'heard' the torque number was more around 350-400lbs. of torque. Since our numbers are WAY off, I wonder which is true? As for replacing my crank, the bolt snapped leaving the other end of the bolt in the bottom end. The pulley itself fell down and I ran over it with my rear tire. IF they can take out the bolt inside, I can resalvage the crank, if not, then that brings damages REALLY high.

·
Registered
288 Posts
then tht means they tightened the crap out of that bolt to snap the head off...350 ft lbs??? holy crap!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
H22A VTEC said:
From what I have 'heard' the torque number was more around 350-400lbs. of torque. Since our numbers are WAY off, I wonder which is true? As for replacing my crank, the bolt snapped leaving the other end of the bolt in the bottom end. The pulley itself fell down and I ran over it with my rear tire. IF they can take out the bolt inside, I can resalvage the crank, if not, then that brings damages REALLY high.
350-400 ft*lbs!!! It might take that much torque to break torque on the bolt when you are removing it, but the Helm's manual clearly states that the torque spec on the crank pulley bolt is 181 ft*lbs.

If you shop knows their ass from a hole in the ground, they should be able to get the broken bolt out of the crank. All you have to do is drill it out and use an extractor. It's an easy job. Once the head breaks off, there is no more tension on the shaft of the bolt. This is assuming they didn't damage the crank when they installed it and torqued the **** out of the crank pulley bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm having a hard time removing my crankshaft bolt and need a little guidance. I have the special Honda tool and plenty of leverage on the breaker bar but there's so much flex in the motor mounts I can't get enough torque on the bolt itself to break it loose. I'm also scared of breaking it off, anyone else has dealt with this issue?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts