Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dude, I usually get about 25 mpg, or did when my car was stock(er) than it is now. I wonder if my VAFC is causing my shmiz to run rich, or if the settings are no longer doing anything(ECU has switched them back)? But when I went to fill up my car yesterday, I needed 6 gallons for 139 miles of daily drivng, and most of it was not hard either. I don't have an AF gauge hooked up to see either, but something doesn't seem to be working right on my car if this is the mileage I'm getting. How EXACTLY do you check spark plugs(get them out, and get them back in correctly- tools needed, etc.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
You'll need a socket, socket wrench and a long-ass adapter to get down to reach them. But that's about all I know, sorry I can't help more.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Spocko,
do you have a Chilton(or that other brand) manual for your car? They have a color guide to spark plugs. Basically, they show pictures of spark plugs and tell you based on the discoloration what your problem is.
All you need to get them out is a deep socket of the correct size, and extension and a torque wrench when putting them back in.
Couple of tips: don't drop them back in when you reinstall cause you could bend the plug and screw up the gap.
Make sure you don't cross thread them. Use the socket and extension and get them started by hand, then torque them down.
Do one at a time! You don't want to get ignition wires crossed!
Find one of those special sockets that have a rubber inside. This holds the plug in the socket when you go to pull them out or reinstall.

------------------
-Adam
'91 Honda Civic & '00 5spd base Prelude

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
I guarantee you that if you haven't reset the ECU (and have a '96+) that the ECU has adjusted the a/f mixture to make up for your settings. Reset the ECU when you fill up and the problem should go away.

Also try and keep your foot out of it : ) When in VTEC all the time on the track I average about 7 m.p.g. In town it might be as high as 28 if I stay off the gas.

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spocko:
Dude, I usually get about 25 mpg, or did when my car was stock(er) than it is now. I wonder if my VAFC is causing my shmiz to run rich, or if the settings are no longer doing anything(ECU has switched them back)? But when I went to fill up my car yesterday, I needed 6 gallons for 139 miles of daily drivng, and most of it was not hard either. I don't have an AF gauge hooked up to see either, but something doesn't seem to be working right on my car if this is the mileage I'm getting. How EXACTLY do you check spark plugs(get them out, and get them back in correctly- tools needed, etc.)</font>
Get a Helm's, and look at www.ngksparkplugs.com for how to read spark plugs. Direct from the Horse's mouth.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 5 of 5 Posts