Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of removing my clutch master cylinder. I can not get the cotter pin to budge. Any suggestions at all on how to get it out of there?

·
one day...
794 Posts
i can't visualize exactly where this particular cotter pin is and my car's not here... but cottar pins in general, ususally just straighten the arms and pull it out with needle nose pliars. If it still won't budge maybe tap on it with a hammer to get enough out for a better grip?

·
Budonkadonk!
238 Posts
if you can find a tool that has a small hook on the end of it, you can just put it through the small hole at the end of the pin and pull it through. Yeah be sure to straightne out both arms of the pin before trying to remove it though.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I assume you are talking about the cotter pin that holds the master cylinder piston to the clutch pedal arm?

If you are, then I feel sorry for you. I swapped my clutch master cylinder during my JDM H22 swap, and that ONE COTTER PIN caused me more frustration than any other single part during the entire motor swap! I actually hurt my neck trying to work under the dash for so long. The main reason it is so tough is the location, there is just no room to work (as I'm sure you are discovering).

I messed around with needle nose pliers for about 45 minutes, but that didnt really get me anywhere. I eventually just got the cordless drill and drilled through the hole. Cotter pins are usually just aluminum, so a nice bit makes short work of them. Don't get to frustrated, if you can get that pin out. . .the rest of this project is CAKE!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, there is VERY little room to work and the pin doesn't want to go straight - it's being very stubborn. Doesn't help that it makes me nauseous to work down there! Next weekend I will just take a hacksaw to it and buy a cotter pin. (I leave for a four day backpacking trip today).

Great timing since I said I was driving and now my friend has to instead!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cotter Pin Plier

I sell a special plier made to remove cotter pins, maybe it'll help. I am not familiar with the position and such but here's a pic

SK Cotter Pin Removal Pliers is designed to straighten the legs of a cotter pin using the forked foot of the pliers as a lever. Using the forked foot of the pliers around the pin's neck and inserting

This plier is in stock and lists for $23.98 and preludeonliners get 20% off so $19.18 plus UPS

Keith
800-441-6117
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts