Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to the Honda dealer and they quoted me $800 for the timing belt, water pump, and the timing belt tension (-$100 without the tensior). Does this seem right? Sounds like a helluva lot of money.

I helped my dad replace the timing chain on my old 240sx years back and that's more trouble than I'd like to go through again.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sure that sound a little more to me. I would think something around $600 would be more reasonable.

As a matter of fact, one of my co-worker just have the same thing done on an Accord(by a reputable dealership) for $560 and that is before using a coupon of 10% off. Go and check with another dealer

------------------
1999 Prelude 5spd
Premium Pearl White
0-60 6.7s 1/4 [email protected]

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was quoted $650.00 for timing belt and water pump at my dealer.
Speaking of that I'm at 70,000 miles when do you all recommend I get the timing belt done?

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
Enfield Honda outside of Hartford, CT runs a special here for timing belt, water pump, and accessory drive belts for $420. i asked if that applied to the prelude, and they said yes.

Neel

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bud1:
I talked to the Honda dealer and they quoted me $800 for the timing belt, water pump, and the timing belt tension (-$100 without the tensior). Does this seem right? Sounds like a helluva lot of money.

I helped my dad replace the timing chain on my old 240sx years back and that's more trouble than I'd like to go through again.
</font>
Sounds about right since a timing belt runs about $600 from the dealer. The tensioner runs about $160 or so.

If I were you, I would do it myself, but then again, it is a pain in the ass. I could do it in an afternoon since I have done it before, but doing it for the first time would take a weekend.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
paramus honda here in jersey does it for $495, timing belt and waterpump on accords.

the tensioner should be cheaper then $100 as with paramus. there should be no additional labor cost for the tensioner.

most honda dealers around here have it for this price. and we're not in the boonies. the dealership is 10 minutes away from new york city.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bgod:
paramus honda here in jersey does it for $495, timing belt and waterpump on accords.

the tensioner should be cheaper then $100 as with paramus. there should be no additional labor cost for the tensioner.

most honda dealers around here have it for this price. and we're not in the boonies. the dealership is 10 minutes away from new york city.
</font>
REALLY.......I was quoted $600 for the belt and water pump from them.

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts