Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what? I use Syn. oil for a while and it alway consume about 1 qt. (To the low mark when I change my oil). But with conventional oil I used(Pennzoil & Castrol GTX), there is no oil consumption at all.

It seems that conventional oil is better for Lude, At least no need to add oil and worry about checking it from time to time.

Anyone have the same experience?

------------------
1999 Prelude 5spd
Premium Pearl White
0-60 6.7s 1/4 [email protected]

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I use motor oil and i lose about a quart whenever i drain the oil for an oil change.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was surprised at it too. I switched to Syn. since 10k and last time, I just can't find Castrol Syn. at the store(they sold it out.) so I just use conventional instead(it was Mar. in TX, so I thought it should be OK). Guess what, Not a drop of oil was consumed, so I thought, I will give it another try with and NO consumption AT ALL!!!

So I will stick with conventional or may be like 4qt of conventional and 1 qt of Syn. to prevent the oil consumption. It saves money as well...

------------------
1999 Prelude 5spd
Premium Pearl White

·
Registered
268 Posts
petroleum based oil better than syntech ??

ahaaha that's a joke man ?

just get good syntech..

NEO
AMSOIL

alos, the film that most syntech oil produces is thinner than the petroleum based film..only normal to burn some oil when u rev a little..

now if adding one liter of oil between ur oil changes really matters more to you than keeping ur engine in good cindition..yeah go back to regular oil

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's odd ... REALLY odd.

Everything I've switched over from petroleum oils to synthetics have consumed LESS oil. I'm talking everything from lawn & garden equipment right up to all our Hondas and Acuras.

I wouldn't use Castrol Syntech, it's not really synthetic oil. Check the Prelude FAQ for more info. It's good oil ... just not worth the $4+ per quart you usually find it for.

NEO Synthetic? I wouldn't trust that stuff either. They seem like snake oil salesmen with their incredible claims.

I've used Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower with great results and I'm trying Redline at my next oil change.

--- Bror Jace

·
Registered
59 Posts
When i switched to Castrol Syntec last fall, the mechanic started the motor to circulate it and I was surprised by the change of noise coming from the motor (the hood was still open): is was soooo smooth !

If the change is audible, it means lubrication is very efficient. I love that !

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JinMTVT:
now if adding one liter of oil between ur oil changes really matters more to you than keeping ur engine in good cindition..yeah go back to regular oil
</font>
If you change the oil regularly (like every 3k) with brand oil, why it won't keep the engine in good condition? It might have some effect if you drive it @7000rpm all day long with an outside temp. of 90+.

Since not everyone here really do that kind of racing (Well, if you do, no matter what oil you use, you will burn some oil. So, go ahead use Mobil 1 Syn. 5w-50 racing oil will be your best bet.), so, conventional oil will save you some hassle while still give the engine enough protection, why waste money? I also heard that mix 1 qt of Syn(Same brand of course) with 4-4.5 qt of conventional oil will benifit the engine when start and protect it when outside temp. is like 90+. So, now I will try this.

------------------
1999 Prelude 5spd
Premium Pearl White

1 - 16 of 16 Posts