Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 01 about 6ish months ago and knew it had a a/f issue because the previous owner removed the cat and did no mods to the O2 or computer. I changed the plugs last week and had oil on a couple of plugs. Well, I decided to do a compression test and I am not at all pleased with the results. From distributer side to timing chain the numbers are: 165, 145, 170, 180. We did multiple checks on each cylinder, and the numbers were consistent in these ranges.

The car was having trouble on cold starts, but the new plugs have pretty much fixed that. The car still smokes some in VTEC tho. Also, the car burns through oil pretty quick. I know that these engines will do that sometimes, but I think it burns it faster than it should. It can't make it from 1 oil change to another. . .not really close. Oh, car has 168K miles.

The previous owner did race the car some. I know he sprayed it with a 50 shot. He is a friend of mine, and I am familiar with the car, so I know that it had around 10 or less bottles put through it.

So what do you guys think is wrong? I have a few theories, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Highly likely it's a ringland. Nawwwws nearly always breaks ringlands if no supporting mods are done. In that case, you should seriously just look for a used bottom-end, or live with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Your compression is def off. The nominal compression is 185 which is good. The minimal is 135 which is good. But the max variation is 28 PSI. Your max variation is 35.

As for the smoke... all cars blow smoke at high rpms.

But oil consumption would make me think piston ring. esp w/ nitrous being shot through it.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I really have to figure out what I am going to do. I am thinking about building a turbo V8 car. If I do that I will either sell the Lude or just use it as a daily driver. However, my friend that is pushing me to build a turbo car wants me to turbo the Lude. His hobby is fabricating, mainly turbo kits. He is a V8 guy and wants the challenge of building a kit on my Lude. I know turboing a H22 has a lot that goes into it, but so does any car.

I dunno. Decisions decisions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts