Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how often does everyone with an aftermarket cold air intake (filter in the front fender setup) clean the filter? I've had my Iceman set up for cold air for about 7,500 miles now, after about 2,500 -3,000 miles as functioning as a cool air intake (filter located next to battery, not truly underhood). Since I can't see the filter and it's kind of a pain in the ass to take it off, clean it and reattach it, I figured I'd get some opinions first.

------------------
2000 5-speed Prelude
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Momo Alumsport shift knob
Iceman Competition Intake
Mugen cat-back exhaust
Mugen headers
AEM underdrive pulleys

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
You guys are going to think I am obsessive but I don't clean mine usually. I just replace it at about 7K+ miles. I noticed that when you clean them they do work better, but not quite as well as a new filter.

The cotton filament frays and expands over time as it gets wet and from washing it. So I just by a new one, its only $30-$35 anyway.

A little more than a tank of gas.

I usually keep a new one for the strip and a used one for the street.

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VeeTec:
You guys are going to think I am obsessive but I don't clean mine usually. I just replace it at about 7K+ miles...</font>
That IS anal. I clean mine about every 6k miles, though with the racing I do it's a LONG time. I replaced mine when it had about 30k miles on it, it was starting to not get very clean when I cleaned it.

Haven't noticed a performance change over new/dirty/cleaned.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VeeTec,

I think you're preaching to the choir about being obsessive with your car. This board is filled with people who are obsesseive, anal retentive, etc. about their cars. So it kinda evens out.

Your maintenance bills though must be pricey. A new filter every 7K miles, you probably pull the plugs, what, every 10K. If you replace with platinums, that gets damn expensive. Of course, if you're probably replacing the cap and rotor if you're doing the plugs. It adds up, don't it?

Speaking of expensive plugs, I've been calling around here in Madison, WI to see who can get the stock platinumn NGKs for the cheapest and have come to the conclusion that this town's a ripoff when it comes to auto parts. My dealership, Zimbrick Honda, charges $18 a plug for the NGKs. That's like almost $80! So I just ordered from hondaparts.com and got a set for $51 shipped. Guess I'll be waitin' until this weekend for pulling the plugs.

------------------
2000 5-speed Prelude
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Momo Alumsport shift knob
Iceman Competition Intake
Mugen cat-back exhaust
Mugen headers
AEM underdrive pulleys

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
chim15,

I can get them for about $9-$10 with my discount. But thats still expensive. Funny thing though, I can get the BKR7EVX-11's for about half that, and they are supposed to be performance platinums with the narrowed ground electrode exposing the kernel. They are also one step colder.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
I didn't clean mine for around 12,000km and it was fairly clean. I'm avoiding cleaning it too often, since I've heard about the fraying of the cloth. Once, twice a year is enough.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I have over 20k on my filter now and the only thing I've ever done it tap it out around 10k. I have a new filter in a box in the trunk that I think I'll swap in pretty soon. I didn't see hardly any dirt in my K&N when I tapped it out..mostly small leaves and some bugs.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I noticed when I got my car back from the body shop there was paint on mine.. I think ill buy a new one soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.