Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im putting my car on adjustable sleeve coilovers this weekend..i bought them from my boy...for abotu 40 bucks i was about to order skunk 2 but he offered me them so i bought them...im trying to find out if if will be too rough or what...would i be better off spending 300 for skunk 2

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
So you bought them already and now want to know about it?

The coilover themselves aren't the cause for a harsh ride, it's improper shocks to spring rate combinations or worn out shocks.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
yes the best thing is to get aftermarket shocks where the spring seat is adjustable and controls ride height and the springs to go with them. this way is more expensive though but worth saving up for in the long run.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have skunk2 adjustable coilovers with ingalls camber kits.

it leaves the back end a little more stiff then the front, but that gives your front end more control though.

Id say go with the skunk2's

I would replace struts and strut mounts too while you have them out anyway.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
i have skunk2 adjustable coilovers with ingalls camber kits.

it leaves the back end a little more stiff then the front, but that gives your front end more control though.
Umm I've never seen a spring kit where the rears are stiffer than the fronts on a FWD car.

That is unless you purposely set it that way which doesn't sound like the case.

Stock Ground Control Coilover rates are like 280/220 (something like that, I really don't remember)

·
Registered
106 Posts
maybe its because my skunk2 coilovers and springa are set to where the rear springs are more tense? i just know my front end isn't as stiff as my rear end.

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
You can't set springs rates. They're made to a specific rate from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally, I'd say go for a proper combination of springs and shocks that were made for each other.

Coilover sleeves will generally not give a proper ride from what I've found, as I was looking at getting coilover sleeves to go on my lude, but the number of nightmare stories I've been told by friends was just too much and put me off, so in the end I went for a full coilover kit and not looked back.

Tein basic coilovers are my personal choice as I use my lude as a daily driver but they keep the low stance and comfortable ride! Quite cheap too at £500 (think that's about $800??? but guess they'd be cheaper for you over there........things usually are!!!!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm running skunk2 "coilovers" right now on stock shocks from the previous owner. What a horrible setup. The front/rear rates are ridiculously stiff (and unsafe on bumpy roads with stock shocks) at 560/450. Don't even think about using Skunk2 "coilovers" with stock shocks, they aren't real coilovers.

And one more thing, skunk2 "coilover" springs don't fit well on Koni Yellows, so I had to spend even more money to get proper springs.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
Personally, I'd say go for a proper combination of springs and shocks that were made for each other.

Coilover sleeves will generally not give a proper ride from what I've found, as I was looking at getting coilover sleeves to go on my lude, but the number of nightmare stories I've been told by friends was just too much and put me off, so in the end I went for a full coilover kit and not looked back.

Tein basic coilovers are my personal choice as I use my lude as a daily driver but they keep the low stance and comfortable ride! Quite cheap too at £500 (think that's about $800??? but guess they'd be cheaper for you over there........things usually are!!!!)
Yes, get a proper combination. But coilover sleeves with proper shocks will outperform many full coilovers any day (at almost the same cost). GC + Koni yellows perform on shock dynos way better than JIC, TEIN, D2, Buddyclub, Ksport, etc. There is just almost no match unless you are buying higher end coilovers. If you search GC+konis, you'll hear of almost no horror stories (other than install error)

I'm running skunk2 "coilovers" right now on stock shocks from the previous owner. What a horrible setup. The front/rear rates are ridiculously stiff (and unsafe on bumpy roads with stock shocks) at 560/450. Don't even think about using Skunk2 "coilovers" with stock shocks, they aren't real coilovers.

And one more thing, skunk2 "coilover" springs don't fit well on Koni Yellows, so I had to spend even more money to get proper springs.
Well if you had lower spring rates, it would be a much better ride. Whoever chose those springrates was an idiot on stock shocks.

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
Sounds like installation error to me. Koni yellows are different sized than other aftermarket shocks. Skunk2 provides adapter to make the sleeve fit perfeclty on Konis. Ground Control does this as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts