Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm short on cash right now and my car needs to be lowered badly...so I'm close to bidding on more than likely the first ebay auction listed below. Should I back out for the price of 70 bucks?

How do you know by looking at a picture of coilovers if they're any good? A friend of mine told me that when you stand them up and set them like if they're installed on your car on the ground, the higher the coil, the better the ride you're gonna get. Is this true? I've noticed that higher priced coilovers on ebay (or better quality such as skunk2 or SPR) to appear to be longer of a coil, or higher when placed on the ground compared to the cheaper ones. For the price I'm paying, if there's is a bit of a bounciness to the ride it's alright....but do you think it'll be too bad if I go with one of these?

Also, what are cambers good for? Sorry, I don't know much about suspension at all.

By the way, forgot to mention that I will be getting a body kit soon and will have to be adjusting, so getting springs wouldnt be worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2414422467

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2415286178&category=6763

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Ok.. this post is pretty good... I would buy the bets ones you cna get for a non-name brand if you wish to go this route.... I would also advise you go expensive and get shocks too, but I cna see your shying away from this... Its ok... Not too many ppl do it right the first time I have noticed... I payed 430 for some kyb agx's and skunk2 coilovers.... I would say if oyu wait, are patient and look for a good deal you can get it! Anyways, I dont know how mine ride as I drove maybe 10 miles on them... And now my car is a dust collector due to a nonrelated engine experience... Anways, getting back to the point... Camber kits are so you dont eat your tires up! They adjust the angle oyur tire rides at so you cna ride on a flat surface of the whole part ot ehtire that should be in contatc with the ground instead of part of it causing wear on them... They are very valuable.. And are worth the price by every means... If oyu dont drop it more thna an inch then maybe you cna get away without a camber kit... Anything more and I advise oyu look into it... It may not be nessecary, but its better to be safe than sorry... It also is bets to get an alignment after you put em on to see about the camber angle and to line up the wheels which can be different with the coilovers ...

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Past user experiences on this very board will tell you to stay away from the VERY cheap coilover kits sold on e-bay. I know you're low on money, and believe me, many of us are as well, but speaking from personal experience, suspension is not something you want to go on the cheap w/, especially if you value a nice ride.

J

·
JDM F22 > USDM H23
1,582 Posts
i totally agree with SLICK96, i've gone through 2 suspention kits cause i thought lik eyou. i just wantted my car to be droped and i was low on cash. i bought some obx coil-overs off ebay...... worst mistake i ever made. it lowered my car maybe 1.5 inch and that was with the coilover all the way down. if i could do it over again i would wait and do what i did the second time around. i got a set of kyb agx and a good set of coil-overs. plus install is easier when you do both shock and coilover at the same time. but that's just my 0.02

·
Registered
798 Posts
Try looking in the for sale forum, people are always trying to sell descent coilovers (GC, Skunk2)... you may be able to afford them.

And trust me, "my car needs to be lowered badly" is NOT a do or die situation. You can wait to lower your car when you have the money to do it right.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
me... Note that they were skunk 2 coilovers and they were used.... I wouldnt buy a no name brand seriously... I bet you can find some in the classifieds within the next week.... Just search regularly if you "gotta have it now!"

·
Registered
798 Posts
I forgot to mention, there really is no wait of actually telling if the coilover is going to give you a good ride by simply looking at it. The height of a coilover means nothing, its how much tension the coil (spring) can hold, the stiffness of it.

Imagine a tall spring that was very weak, the ride would be horrible, you'll be bouncing around everywhere. Now imagine a short spring that was weak, it still be horrible, like running on top of rocks.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Please don't rush something like suspension, that's all we're trying to say here.

J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts