Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vrrom VROOM *POP* oops!
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M gf's prelude won't go into gear while the car is on, if I turn the car off then it goes into ger fine (manual). So the tranny is fine.

So I assume that when you press the clutch pedal, there is something that disengages the clutch (a wire perhaps?) so that you can put it in gear and then let the clutch engage again.

What do I need to look at so that the clutch will disengage when the pedal is pressed? Or is there something else that can cause her not to go in gear when the car is on?

Its a 95 se.

Thanks!

·
Old School
1,086 Posts
recently had the clutch/transmission worked on? check the pressure plate, see if it's torqued down enough... had that happen on a friends car, turns out that he had just twisted till the bolts were tight, rather than allowing for the pressure plate to compress... we were able to tight up all the bolts through the starter opening, thus not having to remove the transmission again...

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I had the same problem on my lude. Took it into Blacktrax (well, it got towed in lol), and they took it apart. Turns out the clutch was just really worn or something, and like the springs were coming loose. Maybe it's time to replace the clutch?

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
Had this problem when I first got the car. When driving, it was extremely difficult to shift normally. I had to exert alot of force to get it into gear. When the car is off, it shifts smoothly.

Brought it to Honda, they replaced the throw out bearing, clutch, and flywheel. I was told that the throw out bearing was seizing due to rust. I'm not sure if you can just replace the bearing only or with the clutch and flywheel as well.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
You should be able to replace just the bearing, IIRC

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Why would you replace just the bearing? If the clutch has a few miles on it, the prudent thing to do would be to replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing, and get the flywheel resurfaced. If the engine has a lot of miles on it, I'd replace the rear main seal while the transmission was off too.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Yeah, you might as well if you're gonna do all that work to get to the bearing.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
One think people are leaving out is the master cylinder and slave cylinder. If you have a fluid leak it will not disingague the clutch. But the pedel will not feal normal either. Does the pedel feel normal?

·
Sarah is my baby
3,739 Posts
preludestud11 said:
One think people are leaving out is the master cylinder and slave cylinder.
This was my first thought as well . . . a very common failure on 4th gens. Check the clutch fluid level. If it's low, you are likely leaking fluid from one of the cylinders. Good news is that it's a much cheaper repair than having the transmission removed.

·
Vrrom VROOM *POP* oops!
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
allright i got back from work, im going to go check it now, im hoping its fluid or the master/slave, those shouldnt be too bad. hopefully its not the bearing or the clutch itself, that'll be a PIA.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
You should always ask...Where did the fluid go? You found a temp fix, but usually there is a leak somewhere if it went low. Just be prepared to dig in further. You don't want your GF stranded. They have a habit of being far away when it does, and calling right when you are in the middle of something. lol.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
glad to know it wasn't a major problem. But as pious said, try to trace it to a leak if any.

·
Vrrom VROOM *POP* oops!
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pIOUs said:
They have a habit of being far away when it does, and calling right when you are in the middle of something. lol.

yeah tell me about it! :nono:

but actually, the clutch was always very soft, we bought it that way.(1 year ago) i never bothered to look at the fluid. ive drove it for a while and i just thought the clutch was going out soon, but it had a nice grip when i try to start off fast, so i told her to tell me when it doesnt grip that well sometimes.

now that the fluid is in...the clutch is hard and it feels more like a clutch is supposed to feel like.

now my gf is complaining that its too hard and she wants her soft clutch back, i told her she's **** out of luck :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts