Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so went out to my lude this morning to find the bleed skrew( I found out where it was by...you guessed it....SEARCHING!..the forums that is), to find that the little rusted cylinder that the bleed skrew comes out of is leaking a little fluid....I need to know, WHAT IS THAT THING??

The little rubber boot was a little off kilter, so I gently nudged it back to where it seemed it should have been, and then a little fluid squirted out. I looked in the resovoir and saw it was a little low(it has been leaking very slightly for a while, so I expected this). So I filled it up, and pumped the clutch a few times to see if the leak got any worse, there were some drops of anonymous fluid under the car, but I thought it was oil from the truck usually parked in that spot.

So, I go out there a few minutes ago to clean my egr valve(read my other thread...), and look under the car...well what do we have here!! A quite large puddle(relatively) of fluid; I look in the resovoire, it has emptied out some, to all, but some. Bingo.

But I don't know what that thing is. there is all this talk of throw out bearings, pressure plates, master cylinders, slave cylindars....Can someone explain what these things are and what they do?? But mainly, what is that little thing that is in between the fans and the trannsmission, it has a little rubber boot on the left side(looking into the engine bay from the front), and that seperates it from a metal "thing", that I take it controls the clutch.

I obviously need a new one, but can I get one at the honda dealer(I've been reading all day searching the forums, and apparently, oem is the only safe way to go)? How much is this mysteriouys thing? are they hard to replace.

..DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT i'M TALKING ABOUT?!?!?! sorry...got a little excited.

Thank you all for any help/suggestions.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
pIERCE said:
..DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT i'M TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!
No

Sounds like you bleed screw may be loose or you simply have a leak in the lines.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I had a pic. It is tha todd rusty thing...damn, I got nothin...no other way to explain it....ithas a metla line coming in from the top of it on the right side of it(from the front of the car, looking in the engine bay), and also on the right side is a little silver plug, which I assume is the bleed plug, it is pointing toward the front of the car. then on the left side is the boot I described, along with a piece of metal that goes to the transmission.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
Are you talking about the slave cylinder(moves the clutch arm in and out when you step on the 3rd pedal thingy)?

May need to be replaced.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got finished googleing it, and yep, it is the slave cylinder...but...

from first post:
"I obviously need a new one, but can I get one at the honda dealer(I've been reading all day searching the forums, and apparently, oem is the only safe way to go)? How much is this mysteriouys thing? Are they hard to replace?"

·
Registered
291 Posts
its your slave cylinder man...you can get one brand new from advance auto parts for 22 bucks...its a bi*** to install tho..i had to take my radiator out...i dont have a lift or the appropriate jacks to go after it from underneath..once thats out of the way tho its wicked easy...good luck...

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
I just got finished googleing it, and yep, it is the slave cylinder...but...

from first post:
"I obviously need a new one, but can I get one at the honda dealer(I've been reading all day searching the forums, and apparently, oem is the only safe way to go)? How much is this mysteriouys thing? Are they hard to replace?"
$50 or so from Honda.

Easy to change, hard to bleed if you don't have a buddy.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, just called local dealership, they want $80 for it, and I have to go in and buy it before they order it, and will take one day to come.

Would it be ok to just buy one from car quest, or is that a mistake(not buying oem)? I saw that link up top which is selling them for $50 also, but That is onlline, it may take a while to ship it...

Damn, this sucks, it is leaking pretty badly, and I am afriad to drive it, as I feel it may just "burst" and then leave me in the middle of the road stranded.

Big thanks all for the help.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
It won't burst but you may lose all hydraulic pressure and not be able to use the clutch at all. You can still drive with proper rev-matching and double clutching, but it will be a pain in the ass.

$80 for an OEM overnight is worth it if you are pressed for time.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I was reading part of my downloaded helms, and it said something that caught my eye...

"NOTE: Make sure the boot is installed on the slave cylinder."

Now I don't know about you, but to me, this sounds like the boot doesn't come with the slave cylinder when you buy it, and you must buy the boot seperately. Am I correct, or does it come with it already? It also said I need a couple differentgreases to greas I think the boot, and the part of the slave cylinder that hits the metal piece going to the tranny, do I really need to get these special greases for this?

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
Boot is already there.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bouckarooo--Oh, thanks man, but I thankfully dowloaded it just earlier today. Thank you very much for the offer.

Does the part come with a warranty if I buy it from them too, but install it myself. I understand the installation won't be covered, but if it breaks, will I be able to get a new one for free?

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
I'm not sure, but I thought OEM parts had a 1 year warranty. :shrug:

I doubt any slave will fail within any 1-2yr warranty period.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, thats what it was on parts and labor for my "major tune-up", but I'm not sure if it works that way with parts you buy, but install yourself....I would assume so, cause any other way would really suck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's the bleed screw, but it shouldn't leak on it's own.
#8 is the slave cylinder including the bleed screw. Bleed screw alone is #1.

As far as ordering online, I have ordered from Majestic Honda (link I provided) before. I suggest calling them and asking about shipping options and estimated time for arrival. They also charge a flat rate "service" fee that was around $5.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
That's what I hate about Majestic. It costs over $10 to order a $.30 part.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I'm going through my local dealer. I went to that site and checked overnight shipping...

It was $79 for overnight for the slave cylinder...HAHAHAHAHA, that is hilarious, $80 to ship a $50 part. Even 3 day express was $30.

Thanks for the link though.

It doesn't look too hard, and the only help I'll need is bleeding the damn thing, so I think I'm good, but I wont be back on the road until wednesday though. :( The dealer is cool anyways, 'cause I need to pick up a load of MTF anyways...

·
Registered
291 Posts
you can go to advance auto parts or autozone and get it for a little more than 20 bucks..just like oem and it works well..thats what i used...and im having no problems..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts