Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ACT flywheel and I tried to get my dealer to adjust the timing when they did my 90K service. They told me it would cost $30 but when I got my invoice, the total cost for parts and labor for the timing was 0, so I doubt that they did it.

I think it is because I no longer have the timing mark that comes on the flywheel. If I don't, how do I check my timing? Can I draw another line on there, and if so, is there a specific place it has to be?

Thanks,
Nathan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
ummmm...what timing are you talking about, cam, ignition....if you asked your dealer to adjust your timing they probably thought you meant your ignition timing, in which case an aftermarket flywheel doesn't matter thats part of the transmission, it isn't exposed. maybe i don't understand the question
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I meant my ignition timing. I don't hvae cam gears, so I can't get those adjusted. My impression of where you shine the timing light is on the flywheel, between the engine and tranny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
ummmm...what timing are you talking about, cam, ignition....if you asked your dealer to adjust your timing they probably thought you meant your ignition timing, in which case an aftermarket flywheel doesn't matter thats part of the transmission, it isn't exposed. maybe i don't understand the question</font>

yea what are you talking about man. When you check your ignition timing you shine a timing gun on the flywheel and line the 15 degree mark up with the pointer. If its not right you advance or retard the timing with the distributer. That is your ignition timing. I never thought about aftermarket flywheels not having marks, i guess you just advance it till you here pinging.
 

·
SuperMod
Joined
·
7,962 Posts
My aftermarket flywheel didn't have any timing marks either. The installer should have put them on, which should have been simple since he had the stock one RIGHT there next to it.

Anyway, I didn't know until too late, and it cost me $60 to fix, although the shop that put the marks on said it was a PITA, and would have cost more if he didn't have the stock flywheel available.
 

·
Modding never ends!
Joined
·
2,492 Posts
Oh damn. I didn't even think of that. Why couldn't this post have been up a week ago....sigh. I just had my flywheel installed Monday. Argh!
 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
ummmm...what timing are you talking about, cam, ignition....if you asked your dealer to adjust your timing they probably thought you meant your ignition timing, in which case an aftermarket flywheel doesn't matter thats part of the transmission, it isn't exposed. maybe i don't understand the question</font>
Come on people, before you comment on something, you should know something about the subject matter. Do you own a Helm's manual? If you just look in the Helm's manual, it clearly shows that there is an access port that you shine the timing light through to check the ignition timing at idle. There is a rubber stopper that fits into the port to keep dirt, dust, etc. out. It's right below the distibutor on the bell housing.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pter:
My aftermarket flywheel didn't have any timing marks either. The installer should have put them on, which should have been simple since he had the stock one RIGHT there next to it.

Anyway, I didn't know until too late, and it cost me $60 to fix, although the shop that put the marks on said it was a PITA, and would have cost more if he didn't have the stock flywheel available.
</font>
Shouldn't matter if you have a 5Gen, the ECU is supposed to control the timing.

I am having marks put on my Fidanza since I am installing an OBD1 distributor and ECU, so I will have adjustable timing.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 

·
Proud Daddy
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
When my CM flywheel was put on they had to add the mark as well. You would think that the manufacturer could have added that with little effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Hey...

Did you recently buy your lude? Cause I had a 94 Lude w/Act..but I sold it! The ACT Flywheel does have a timing mark on it, "LOOK CAREFULLY"

vnt




------------------

1997 Prelude (Non-Sh) Eucalyptus Green "TEAM ALL SPORT RACING"
AEM Intake, 5Zigen Fireball Exhaust w/Gutted Cat, 18 Degree Advanced Timing, DC C/C Header, DC Short-Shifter, Gutted Interior, Sprint Race Springs, Front & Rear Strut Bars. Clear Lenses All Around w/Hiper White Bulbs & Alteeza Tailights.
[email protected]
"BIG BLUE FLAME"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats what I wanted to here Vnt, I never looked in there considering that would be pretty difficult with such a small whole and I'd have to keep rotating the engine. Thanks, I'm going to try and get my timing adjusted now.
 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
It depends. If you want to be able to see where the timing is set, and there are no marks on the flywheel, then YES, you need to get it marked.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Thanks Billy,

I guess getting it MARKED is the best thing to do before it's installed as it's gonna be PITA to get the flywheel MARKED once it's already installed !

------------------
2000 Silver Lude
Toronto Prelude Club

[This message has been edited by Luded (edited March 30, 2001).]
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
It depends. If you want to be able to see where the timing is set, and there are no marks on the flywheel, then YES, you need to get it marked.

</font>
I just got my ACT flywheel in the mail today. If it doesn't have the timing marks already. Should I just say to the installer, "Put some timing marks on it please" and he should know what to do?


------------------
95 Prelude VTEC
 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by H22Apowered:
I just got my ACT flywheel in the mail today. If it doesn't have the timing marks already. Should I just say to the installer, "Put some timing marks on it please" and he should know what to do?

</font>
Well, if you just got it, does it have timing marks? If your installer knows what he is doing, then he should know what to do.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top