Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I posted this problem a few months back about the CEL light in my car. The light came on a few months ago and it was showing up the misfiring codes. So far, I got a full Tune up, changed the EGR valves and ports, and replaced the distributor in my car. The light is still coming up! Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Check the code and fix it?

Never heard of one but by all means you could have a malfunctioning CEL light, but within the time that you repaired the codes you first checked something else could've come up. Have you checked it again since? What codes is it telling you now?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
changed: wires, plugs, rotor and cap, distributor, egr valve, egr ports and had my injector cleaned... all done at honda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did the light come off when you got it back from the dealer? If it was all done at Honda I would take it back and tell them to check it out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got back from Honda again. They said the reader was picking up multiply misfiring codes again. They are all stomped. They changed my fuel filter tonight as they found that it was "clogged" and a pcv valve. Will have to wait and see if the light will come back. In the meantime, thank you all for giving your two cents for this problem. Keep them suggestions coming! At this point, I will give anything a try...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No compression or leak down test. I have been bringing my car back and forth for the past 3 months and changing a few at a time to tackle the problem. Labor and parts isn't cheap at Honda as you may ALL know.. lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Already knew it was going to be costly.. that's why I took it to Honda and have them looked at it. I can't think of anything else that can be wrong unless the ECU is the problem...

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
It could be......... (teh ECU, that is.) Try to find a donor ECU and Ignition key (chipped) then you will need to have your key copied, but not programmed. Then you tape the 2 keys together and start the car. Understand what I mean? So that it fits in your ignition, but picks up the code from the key that matches the donor ECU.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will ask the people at Honda about this "method" to test out the ECU... any other suggestions? while I search for another ECU ?

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
Do you know anybody who doesn't drive their lude in the winter? They could help. Oh, and that's the method listed for testing ECU in the Helms Manual, so, the dealership should be in agreement with me on this one.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am actually the only one of all my friends to drive a Prelude... My best option is to see if someone at Honda with a Prelude would help with this. There's only one guy who drives a Prelude that I know of at my Local Honda dealer.

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
Also, check all of your ground wires and vacuum hoses. It's one of the first things you are supposed to check when getting a misfire. I had a random cylinder 1 misfire a month ago. After replacing the main ground wire, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition control module (inside the distributor) and having the injectors tested, it turned out to just be dirty EGR ports. It took me an hour to clean them and about $3.00 for new port plugs, after I spent about $250 on all the other stuff. Oh well. Live and learn, I guess. Oh! Also check and clean the IACV. It is listed as another possible cause. It is on the front of the Intake Manifold. Just take it off, let it soak in some seafoam for a half hour, take a toothbrush and brush some seafoam over the screen to clean the carbon gunk off, then empty all the seafoam out of it and put it back on. Hope some of this helps. Like I said, I had a misfire code for a couple months, and it drove me crazy, so I feel your pain.
BTW, where do you live that there are only two 5th gen Preludes in town?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in NYC.. Im sure there a more than 2 5th Gens Prelude in town but non of my friends really own a Prelude. They've all gave in to society's trend and driving bmws and SUVs..

1 - 20 of 358 Posts