Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just replaced the rear lower ball joints in my 98 base lude the dealer said they were a non replaceable part that you had to buy the whole knuckle which were $300 per side but the front lower ball joints on a 2004 accord are the exact same which were $80 so im letting everyone know:)

·
Merovingeon
561 Posts
very nice!!! thanks for the heads up!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in need of rear lower ball joints from my 97 base lude. I havent had any luck in finding aftermarket ball joints. Honda has the whole knuckle and wants $350.
I just wanted to confirm that front lower ball joints from the 2004 Accord will work? Are these aftermarket parts or from Honda?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just an update

I am owner of CRX 88 not prelude but just want to inform you all that most of the parts from Acord 98-02 and 2003-2007 is the exact same as mine CRX 88.
I just trashed my front lower balls and found some interesting examples on ebay first then my local dealer.
For example adjustable ball joints are about $150 and some coplete kits are about $130 *(non adjustable)
And here is seler list for adjustable front lower ball joints:
This will also fit the following:
Acura 2.2 CL 1996-97
Acura 2.3 CL 1998-99
Acura 2.5 TL 1995-98
Acura 3.0 CL 1996-99
Acura 3.2 CL 2001-03
Acura 3.2 CL 2004
Acura 3.2 TL 1999-02
Acura 3.2 TL 2003
Acura 3.2 TL 2004-08
Acura TSX 2004-08
Honda Accord 1998-02
Honda Accord 2003-07
Honda Civic 1988-91
Honda CRX 1988-92
Honda Odyssey 1995-98

I hope i helped someone.
Sory for bad english.

P.S.
And yes front lower are replaceable, upper i dont know i think not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to verify for everyone i worked in a autoparts store for 10 years and i did some measuring on my rear ball joint and they are the exact same as to front of a 2004 accord lower ball joint and ive been driving my car for over a month now with these ball joints in it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I Just replaced the rear lower ball joints in my 98 base lude the dealer said they were a non replaceable part that you had to buy the whole knuckle which were $300 per side but the front lower ball joints on a 2004 accord are the exact same which were $80 so im letting everyone know:)
I replaced all 4 bottom front with oem 1999 sh prelude parts from hondaautomotiveparts.com. You don't have to buy the whole knuckle but you do have to have them pressed out, don't even try to get them out lol cause you won't. My local machine shop pressed out and installed new for 45 bucks.

Trust me honda will do anything for $

So cliff notes, buy the ball joints, take them to a machine shop with your knuckle. Don't use accord ball joints!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually you can beat them out with a hammer and a socket the same size as the balljoint they are no harder to beat out then lower control arm bushings or front lower balljoints ive replaced many ball joints on honda's and to put them in just clean up the edge of the hole making sure there is no burs on it put some oil around the hole the ball joint will tap in easier just make sure you dont damage the center of the base of the balljoint there is a ridge around the base that will match up to a 1 1/4 inch socket (I believe) and you can put them in the same way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
preludedriver99, the oem sh front lowers will work for the rear lowers of my base? Just wanted to clarify as you posted "I replaced all 4 bottom front with oem 1999 sh prelude parts". Thanks dude.

·
Registered
17 Posts
BTW, Honda doesn't list any ball joints for the Base Prelude. Front or rear. Even though you can get front ball joints for the SH. All they list are the knuckles for the base Prelude.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw people changing that upper balls with presing out old and hummering the new ones on menny cars. You can even go to youtube and see some pressing out :)
All they do is take of the arm measure the ball, go to some parts dealer and find same balls.
This last is litle problem because they ask you which balls do you need and if you tell them that you need upper they will tell you a 100 times that you can nott change upper ball so ask for lower wich could be close tp ypurs, measure it, if it is what you looking for buy it if not ask for another :D untill you find one.
But if you thrashed ball in some crater on the street it is beter to change all with control arm an bushingss.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
hey preludedriver99 how much were they, like how much am i looking at with all4 + labor

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, got the ball joints installed. What I ended up finding out is the lower front ball joints from the Prelude SH are the same as the rear in the base Prelude. Here is the part # 51220-sl5-013. This ended up saving me a lot of money.
So anyone replacing them, you dont have to but the whole knuckle!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts